Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Officejet Pro 8100 will not recognize colours when trying to print from My Pictures in Windows 8.1. I have done all checks.... ink ok, print to grayscale is off, blackonly is disabled, removed the programme and resarted from scratch with supplied disc. The whole computer is new from Chillblast and is very fast and up to date. All inks are new and full.

It will print documents, pdf etc, but I cannot make it 'see' colours in My Pictures, all previews and printing comes out black and white.

The only thing is I do not know what, if any, changes may be required in the 'Colour Management' part of the Advanced settings............any advice......Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have just checked both HP's official driver download site and wireddrivers.com site and noticed that the driver number for my Officejet Pro 8100 printer has changed!

It was OJ8100_1321.exe................ It is now OJ8100_1321-1.exe.

I downloaded this driver and all is well in my printer world!

I do not know whether it was my question on this forum or my contacting a Microsoft technician, (who was unhelpful and kept asking me to do things that I refused to do as I explained I had already tried), but anyway someone has realised there WAS a software problem in the driver and fixed it.

I will now post this as solved to help anyone else who searches..........Regards Kevin.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you see any color listed on the printer self test report?

Print a printer status report (also called a self-test report) to make sure that the hardware functions correctly.
  1. Load unused, plain, white paper into the paper tray.
  2. Press and hold the Cancel button () for three seconds, and then release the button. The report prints.

You should see buth Black, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow colors on the printed sheet.

If any color not being printed on that report, follow these steps to troubleshoot a such:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02892752

If the report seems fine and include any of the colors, is the CD lit Windows 8 as supported? any supported OS should be listed on its label.

If Windows 8.1 is not listed, uninstall teh HP Officejet Pro 8100 Basic Software and install the latest version below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-108867-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

As well, have you tried printing other types of documents as Office or Wordpad documents? can you see the same beahaviour for those as well?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomil. I have done all you asked, but still the same. All test pages print in good colour, all documents print ok, just My Pictures will not come out or preview in colour. They are all jpeg format and I did not have this trouble with XP and my older HP printer. I am using USB connection as I do not need wireless printing. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

As I understood, the printer seems as Grayscale already during the Print Preview?

What application you are printing from?

Try printing the picture from any other application by right clicking the JPG file, select Open With and then select any otehr program - may you see a different results?

HP Recommended

Yes in greyscale during preview.

Trying to print from Windows Photo Viewer, from taskbar at top of page....all works ok except lack of colour.

Tried other programmes to no avail.

Have downloaded pdf blue to print pdf docs...possible problem there?

HP Recommended

PS. If problem persists, what print programme does HP recommend for Windows 8.1, as it has no programme of its own to use for pdf docs etc.

HP Recommended

Hi. Further to a previous post by me I have found that on my wifes 'side' of our Windows 8.1 computer her printing  works perfectly.

However, with the exact same printer settings, when I log on to 'my' half of the computer I cannot print in colour from the 'My Pictures' folders like her. It just shows greyscale and will not preview or print in colour. No other problems show up..............any advice out there!.............. 

As there has been no reply after a few hours I am beginning to think no one knows what to do and that  this is a software/conflict problem with HP Officejet Pro 8100 and Windows 8.1. No matter what I do nothing will get colour printing to work on my side of computer.  Also checking/unchecking greyscale/black only/off in advance printer setting, nothing changes for me, but it works perfect on my wifes 'half' of computer.

All other sharing folders/programmes work ok.

I also noted another forum member had same problem with Windows 8.1 that seemed to go unresolved, but with a different model printer.........are HP lagging behind in updates or is there a way to resolve this that I have not found after two days trying different solutions?

HP Recommended

Hi,

As it seems like that alredy during the Preview, it is more likely related with the driver or application settings, as well as a possible issue with th efiles themselves.

First, open teh Control Panel and select Devices and Printers.

Right click the printer and select Printing Preferences.

Click the Advanced button and ensure the Print in Grayscale option is set as Off, then click OK to confirm and close that dialog.

Next go to your JPG file, right click it and select Open With > Paint.

Can you see the picture with colors at this time?

Click on File > Print.

Select the printer and click on Preferences, then click thew Advanced button and ensure the Print in Grayscale option is set as Off in here as well.

Can you see the same results in here as well?

If the same results has been provided during any of those steps, savie and print the following image by right clicking it and selecting Save Target / link as, then print it from Paint using the same steps.

Do you still get the same results? (to deny an issue with the filed you are trying to print):

http://www.crackverbal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/serial-test-take.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomil,

Thank you for your time in trying to resolve this issue. My printer is working fully in all the things you have suggested after uninstalling completely and reinstalling software from HP site............BUT......I still am left with the original problem!

As you say, I have now to open in paint to get colour print from jpeg photos in 'my pictures'.

If I try to print directly from My Pictures or opening in Windows photo viewer all I get are black and white previews and prints, (my wifes side of computer is still fine). It is as though the software cannot deal fully with sharing the printer. 

This cannot be right and must be either HP software issue or Windows 8.1 software/compatibility issue.

What is your view? Where can I go next? Can you bring to a software engineers attention?

Although thanks to you I can at least now print in colour through Paint that is not right is it? Because of this I cannot accept your help as an accepted solution at present unless you can help further......thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi wyme2,

As you mention, printing the same printer from Paint do work as expected, am I right?

A driver or an OS issue will affect any application, it clearly seems as Windows Photo Viewer is affected, therefore the issue must be related to the Photoviewer application itself.

As you mention, the Print Preview already presented as Grayscale from the application side, t is only related to the application or to your User profile and not to the HP driver (which function as expected from other programs.. even from the same program from another User account

From Photo Viewer click on Print > Print.

Click the Options... link in the bottom of the window.

Click on Color Management.

Open the Advanced tab and ensure that any drop down in this screen is set as System Default.

Now check for any difference.

If the same persists, I would suggest bypassing this issue by setting another application as the default for JPG files, simply right click the picture and select Open With.

Click on Choose default program and select any other application to open the file.

For any further troublesooting I would suggest contacting Microsoft support, the issue is only related to the specific program.

Regards,

Shlomi

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.