02-13-2014 10:00 PM
I installed the HP recommended printer driver for the Windows 8.1 64-bit OS with the HP3055. Unfortunately, it doesn't support manual duplex printing. This is a HUGE PAIN. I used to be able to print a 20 page document double sided, simply by selecting manual double-sided printing. The printer would print all the odd pages, then I'd drop the paper stack back into the input tray and it would print all the even pages.
IS THERE ANY DRIVER THAT CAN BE INSTALLED THAT SUPPORTS DOUBLE-SIDED PRINTING ON THE HP3055 USING WINDOWS 8.1 64-bit? CAN AN OLDER WINDOWS 7 DRIVER BE USED UNDER WINDOWS 8.1 64-bit USING A WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBILITY MODE?
This printer is too new not to have some way of printing double-sided copies and a way to use the scanner!!
I also posted a separate message about the lack of scanner support with Windows 8.1 and this printer.
02-14-2014 01:19 PM
The HP LaserJet 3055 is an old printer. It is several model versions behind the latest in its familiy and support for it ended a long time ago.
That being said, you are lucky that the HP 3055 is compatible with the Universal Print Driver. UPDs are supported will continue to be so for the forseeable future, unlike the printer specific USB drivers that come by default.
Drivers and Download page for lJ3055 on Win8.1 x64:
Download and test out the UPDs until you find one that works the way you want it to. I suggest starting with the PostScript option first, then PCL5 and then finally PCL6. You should also be able to manually enable the manual duplex feature if it is not automatically detected. This setting is normally tucked away under device settings.
Enable the Duplexing unit (Win7 steps):
1. Open your Devices and Printers folder
2. Highlight and Right Click your printer
3. Select Printer Properties
4. Select the Device Settings Tab
5. Scroll down and locate the Duplex Accessory under Installable Options
6. Set the Duplexer to installed
My HP Enterprise Profile
My Verizon Wireless profile
If you found this post helpful then please award it a Kudo (purple thumbs up) or even better mark it as the solution : )
02-16-2014 09:44 PM
Thanks for your response, but I guess I wasn't clear enough about "manual" duplex printing. My HP3055 does NOT include the duplexer.
The original Vista driver that also worked just fine under Windows 7 supported manual printing of double sided copies. As I noted, when double sided printing was enabled, it would print the odd pages and then instruct you to manually drop the printed pages straight down into the top of the blank paper tray. It would then print the even pages in the correct orientation and in the correct (reverse) order so that you would end up with a nice double-sided copy.
Why can't the original driver be run in Vista or Windows 7 "Compatibility Mode"? HP would have a lot happier customer base if they would provide backwards compatibility so that Windows 8 or 8.1 would still support printers that worked just great under Windows 7.
02-16-2014 10:06 PM
>it doesn't support manual duplex printing.
You could do manual manual duplex. :-)
Just print the odd pages, then insert and print the evens.
Adobe reader and Word have options to only one side at a time.
For the former, you would need Acrobat Pro or a print to PDF driver.
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One and 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer Series