Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6100 H611a
Vista

I installed new print cartridges and now, when printing, all the sheets are coming out blank.  There is no message that the "new" printer cartridges need replaced.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @bkgary,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that since installing new print cartridges in your HP Officejet 6100 ePrinter you are only able to print blank pages from your Windows Vista computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this print quality issue. Please follow the steps below.

To start, I would like you to print a Print Quality Diagnostic Report to verify if any colours are printing for you standalone.

1. Load plain white paper into the paper tray.

2. Press the Power button () to turn on the product, if it is not already on.

3. Press and hold the Power button () while you perform the following button presses:

• Press the Cancel button () seven times.
  • Press the Resume button () two times.

4. Release the Power button (). The test page prints.

Image: Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic Page.

Examine the Print Quality Diagnostics Report for any defects.

If the Report shows quality defects:  Please click here to run through the print quality troubleshooting steps specific to your printer.

If the Report prints perfectly: Than your issue lies with your computer and a potential setting issue or driver issue. Please do not continue troubleshooting at this time should this be the case.

Please respond to this post with the print quality result of the Print Quality Diagnostics Report. Should the issue persist, I will be able to provide you specific troubleshooting steps based off of what occured on with the standalone Quality Report test. I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I performed the teat you recommended, but the sheet is still blank.

HP Recommended

Hello @bkgary,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because your HP Officejet 6100 ePrinter fails to print anything standalone we are definitely dealing with a hardware issue. Now the chances of all 4 cartridges being defective isn't impossible, but it isn't likely. What is likely is that the printhead built into your HP Officejet is either not detecting the cartridges properly or is defective. The printhead is built into your printer and is the part that the cartridges fit into. It 'reads' the cartridges and controls ink for going on your paper. Should the printhead be defective a whole unit replacement would be needed. To see if we can get those new cartridges detected properly can I please have you run the steps below.

Step 1: Reset:

1. With your printer on, open up the cartridge access door and remove all 4 cartridges
  2. Set the cartridges aside
  3. Close the cartridge access door with no ink installed in the printer
  4. The printer may display a blinking light error state as all ink is missing, this is OK.
  5. With the printer ON, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
  6. Leave the printer disconnected for 60 seconds
  7. Plug the printer back in, directly to a wall outlet for power
  8. When the printer comes on, you may notice a blinking light error state as the printer detects the missing cartridges
  9. Open the cartridge access door and install your cartridges
  10. Ensure that the cartridges click into place
  11. Once all cartridges are installed, close the cartridge access door

The printers green ready light should be on at this point.

Step 2: Try to Print Standalone:

1. Load plain white paper into the paper tray.

2. Press and hold the Power button () while you perform the following button presses:

• Press the Cancel button () seven times.
  • Press the Resume button () two times.

3. Release the Power button (). The test page prints.

Check the test page to verify if there are any print quality issues.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your issue. I look forward to hearing from you. Happy New Year! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I installed all new HP cartridges in my HP6100.  Now it only prints blank sheets.  It sounds like it is printing but no ink on the page.  I have cleaned the printheads, realigned the printheads and pulled all the cartridges out - pulled the plug on the printer for 60 seconds - replugged it in and tried to print another test page.....no luck - no ink on page.  I have tried color ink as well as the black and no ink on page.  It was working perfect before I replaced the ink cartridges.  Please help.  

Thank you!

Beth Ellen

HP Recommended

Hello @BethEllen,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are experiencing blank pages printing from your HP Officejet 6100 ePrinter since installing a new set of HP cartridges. I do want to thank you for all of the detail that you have included in your post in regards to all the troubleshooting that you have already done. Unfortunately, if you followed the steps I provided in my posts above to no avail than the only step left would be a Firmware Update.

Please click here to access the Firmware Update for your HP Officejet. Once the website opens select the 'Download' button on the top left. When prompted please allow the download to Run. Follow any onscreen steps to send the Firmware programming update to your printer.

Once the Firmware Update is complete please test printing again. Should the issue persist than I am afraid that we have exhausted the troubleshooting steps for your printer. Should this be the case than this print quality issue would most likely be due to a Printhead failure. The Printhead is the mechanism built into your printer that the cartridges fit into. It 'reads' your cartridges and controls ink for going on the pages. If the Printhead is defective than the print system built into your printer is defective and a whole unit replacement may be needed.

If the Firmware Update fails, I would highly recommend exploring additional support options with our Technical Support queue.

HP Technical Support can be reached at: 800-474-6836.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Worldwide Contact

Please let me know if the Firmware Update resolves your issue. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.