Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear Experts,

I've got an HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer with just one paper tray in which I loaded 4x6 photo paper.
The printer was purchased in January 2014, the latest drivers are installed.

Now I would like to print a single 4x6 photo using Windows Photo Viewer or Gallery.

I loaded the 4x6 photo paper  into the tray as indicated by the little icon labeled 4x6in, so I suppose I got the HW part right.

It's just the SW part which gives me a hard time. The available paper size options in Windows Photo Viewer and Gallerydon't include photo paper sizes, just the standard paper and envelope sizes.

Hence I checked in the HP Printer Assistant in "Set Preferences" what kind of paper sizes are available, and there is exactly the same list as proposed by Gallery, missing photo paper sizes. So I guess Gallery just picks the sizes from the driver and ther are no photo paper sizes.

This is an issue because I prefer to print from my PC using Win 7 or Win 8 and not from a SD card or a USB stick.

Any help is very welcome, thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please use HP Photo Creations to print, this software should be on the CD which comes with your printer OR you can download from the following link:

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/photo-creations.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Firstly thank you very much for your fast response.

I just tried HP Photo Creations.

In HP Photo Creations I selected from the pull down options in "Choose Size" the option 4 x 6,  hence the photo size is correctly set.

Unfortunately when I want to print this 4x6 photo  I run into the same issue: On the left hand side in the "Paper Size" pull down menu selection there are no photo paper sizes, just the choices you already have in "Printer Preferences".

I have 4x6 paper and this size is not available in the pull down. It really seems to be a driver issue due to missing photo paper sizes that prevents all SW on no matter what OS to print on 4x6 paper. For example I just tried PowerPoint which I set to 4x6  and when I go to "Printer Properties" and then to "Paper/Quality" there is no photo paper choice in "Paper Size".

Anything else I can try?

Mant thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please select the right OS of your computer to download drivers from the following link and install to your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4323648

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this link!

Actually I installed a brand new Windows 8 system in January 2014 and then bought the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer a few days later. To install this printer I did not use the CD that came with it but already used this link. Just to be sure that I have the latest version I again reinstalled the driver.

The result is definitive: You cannot print common photo paper sizes like 4x6,  5x7, 8x10, etc. via a PC using photo SW like HP Photo Creations, MS Gallery, Windows Photo Viewer or any other SW on a HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

The reason is most likely that HP marketing decided that an Officejet should not be smart enough for photos, after all the company sells also Photosmarts.

Because you cannot create your own formats  you are limited by the driver to what is typically available in an office, in this case:  A4, Letter, legal, Statement, Executive, A4, A5, A6, B54 (JIS), Envelopes #10-DL-C5-C6-A2-Monarch, Japanese Postcard, Japanese Envelope Chou #3-#4, L, 2L, O**bleep**u hagaki, Index Card Letter-A4, Edge-to-Edge Letter-A4, Env. Japanese No 3-No 4 and that's it, not more.

Thank you anyway for trying to help me but in this case only the SW developers in HP can help.

It would be great to be able to print from time to time a 4x6 photo on this printer like I would do.

Copying photos on a USB stick or on a SD card first and then use this way to print on the printer is too cumbersome for me.

HP Recommended
Yes I too think its marketing trick I tried all ways with widows and mac with and without Hp photo creation on 3050 j610 and noting worked.
HP Recommended

Hi y'all!

Did anyone find a solution or a workaround for this annoying issue? 

Ironically HP adds to a new printer 4x6 and 5x7 photo paper for free. Furthermore HP shows online a video how-to insert photo paper in the tray.  But I can't  use it cause I can't select the correct paper size in the printer preferences. 

What a nauseous marketing politic....

HP Recommended

there is a "work around", but it takes time also. You need to go preferences, then "paper/quality", and then select the "advanced" settings. Then change paper size etc... The next problem is that it keeps that paper style/size even after going back and selecting one of the HP shortcuts. very frustrating

Yes I agree with the recent posts that this is a crappy gimmick from HP. I will be returning this device. Have been an HP printer user for 25+ yrs, what a shame...

HP Recommended

There are lots of threads out there pertaining to this; here are the most common issues:

1.) Your printer may think you have two paper trays.  To fix this, open your HP program or otherwise access your printer.  Go to Customize Your Printer- Device Settings. If Tray 2 says Letter, go to the line below and click on "Not Installed", then Apply, then OK.

2.) For some reason, when I first try to print, my system defaults to "Fax" instead of Network printer.  It's a little thing but easy to overlook.  Make sure you select the right printer, then the paper sizes and quality will be listed for you to choose from.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Today was the first time I've had to use my HP8600 Plus for photo printing as I had an HP8200 Photojet until loaning it to my daughter.  Running Windows 7, I just don't see the problem described.  There is a long list of sizes in the "Paper sizes:" drop-down menu, including 3×5 (but wasn't the old standard 3½×5?), 4×6, 5×7 and 8×10.  Missing are the "tabbed" sizes that I am accustomed to seeing when printing with the HP8200.  (Some photopaper has a tear-off edge beyond the standard length to avoid the printer's smudging the ink when handling the paper, but maybe the HP8600 doesn't have that problem.)

I'd have to conclude that the problem isn't with HP's driver per se (although user-friendliness might be challenged).  I'd suggest following up on Marycat1's suggestions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.