Question
How do I set up my new Officejet Pro 8600 Plus print to print on 4x6 photo paper?
Replies (36)

Tutor
Shconner
Message 11 of 37 (5,737 Views)

Re: How do I set up my new Officejet Pro 8600 Plus print to print on 4x6 photo paper?

No the the paper type is different.  I have "plan paper" set, however HP Advance Photo Paper is not an option.  Actually there is no photo paper in the list of paper type.  I only have presentation or card stock paper as an option.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 12 of 37 (5,735 Views)

Re: How do I set up my new Officejet Pro 8600 Plus print to print on 4x6 photo paper?

Something is way not right.  The drivers you used to install may be bad.  Uninstall the printer and then reinstall using the link below.  Let me know what happens.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-97846-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Shconner
Message 13 of 37 (5,726 Views)

This is the same file that I downloaded the other day and used to re-install my printer.

Tutor
Shconner
Message 14 of 37 (5,724 Views)

I just sent a reply stating this download was the same as I had downloaded the other day and had used it when I re-installed my printer.   As I was reviewing the printer properties I realized that my printer name is "HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)"  and your picture the yesterday did not have "(Network)."  I have the printer setup via the wireless network and is used by two other Laptop computers in this house.  The paper size issue is not necessary on the other computer.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 15 of 37 (5,721 Views)

Mine doesn't say network because I'm connected via USB.  That shouldn't matter for paper choises though.  You said that the problem wasn't on the other computers.  There may be a problem with the image software on your computer.  Run Windows Update to make sure everything is up to date in the windows software.  You don't have a second tray do you?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Shconner
Message 16 of 37 (5,715 Views)

I am sorry, I miss spoke regarding the other computers.  It is not an issue on the other computers because this is the only computer used to print photos and envolops.  And all Windows Updates and programs are up-to-date.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 17 of 37 (5,713 Views)

I'm still thinking it's a problem with the program.  Try doing an uninstall and reinstall of  Photo Gallery.  That, or contact Microsoft and see if they know of the problem.  They may have a fix for it.  Also, try printing a photo from the other computers and see what options they have.

Signature
Tutor
Shconner
Message 18 of 37 (5,708 Views)

I think that you have misunderstood my situation.  I am looking for the proper printer setting that will allow me to choose various paper sizes such as 4x6, 5x7, or envelops.  I had this set up on my previous HP printer and it worked great.  But since I purchased a new printer I no longer have a choice on paper sizes.  I had used Windows Photo Gallery as an example of the program I am trying to get this to work.  However, I have this same problem with all my printable programs such as Windows Photo Gallery, Word, Corel Paintshop, Family Tree Maker, and Quicken.  Therefore, I do not think it is a software problem with the program I am using.  I finally checked the two laptops that are using this printer and find that one has the same issue.  And the other for some reason has a different print driver, HP Officejet Pro K8600 series.  The later print driver appears to have all the selection I am looking for except it does not have any photo paper in the paper type list.  Nor does it list photo paper sizes such as 4x6, etc.  The current setting in the printing preferences, paper/quality tab shows in the paper size list a yellow caution sign over all the paper sizes I am looking for.  Also the same symbol appears in the list for media types.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 19 of 37 (5,707 Views)

That's strange.  It sounds like you have a second paper tray and have it set to the default tray.  The second paper tray only supports the paper types that show on your list.  It's strange because unless you purchased a second paper tray, the plus model doesn't have one.  Only the Premium model does.  Other than that, only certain types of media can be duplexed, so if you have two-sided printing on, it might limit the selection.  I'll look into what else might be causing this and get back to you.

Signature
Tutor
Shconner
Message 20 of 37 (5,700 Views)

Shane, I want to thank you for your support and attempts to help me fix the problem.  I seems that when I re-installed the printer it did install it with a second tray.  Originally I had set it as not installed.  When I re-installed the printer it was acting the same way so I never looked at the properties and remove the second tray.  It does appear to be working as we were looking for.  I have not attempted to print an envelop from word yet but anticipate it will work.  I hope you had wonderful Memoral Day.  This printer defently was not designed as a user freindly device as my previous printer was.  Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation