Question

Honor Student
AlanNelson
Message 1 of 6 (10,238 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I use the automatic two sided printing feature? I only get one side printed.

[ Edited ]

I just got a new HP Officejet Pro 8600 and it says that it is supposed to automatically print two sided.  When I feed a two sided document into the top tray paper feeder, it takes it in and then it prints one side, then it pulls the paper that it just printed back in as if it was going to print the second side, but then it just ejects the page and never prints the second side.  I have an Asus computer running Windows 7, but I am trying to just do a two sided copy right from the printer itself.  I went into settings and there are two options under two sided printing, one say "1-sided Original 1-sided Copy" and the other choice that I selected is "1 sided original 2-sided Copy".  Those are the only choices.  What am I doing wrong?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (10,233 Views)

Re: How do I use the automatic two sided printing feature? I only get one side printed.

The two-sided printing module will print the back side automatically when printing.  When making copies it will print the back side if you put two (or more) pages in the feeder and select to copy 1-sided to 2-sided.  This model apparently does not make 2-sided to 2-sided copies, i.e., it does not have a mechanism to scan the back side of pages loaded in the ADF.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
AlanNelson
Message 3 of 6 (10,230 Views)

Re: How do I use the automatic two sided printing feature? I only get one side printed.

Thank you, that worked. Another question on two sided printing, if I have a document that let's say is a PDF 2 page document, how do I tell the computer/printer, to print that on one piece of paper two sided?
Intern
PenSphere
Message 4 of 6 (10,216 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Bob (Headrick),

Your reply to AlanNelson was of course 100% correct, and you related it exactly to Alan's declared "HP Officejet Pro 8600" printer, but I'd like to add, for the benefit perhaps of other visitors to this Forum Answer, that the "HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus" variant of this printer does make 2-sided to 2-sided copies of sheets loaded into the ADF.

(I've used this feature a few times already :smileyhappy: )

Respectfully yours,

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.
Intern
PenSphere
Message 5 of 6 (10,210 Views)

Hello Alan,

You asked: [....] if I have a document that let's say is a PDF 2 page document, how do I tell the computer/printer, to print that on one piece of paper two sided?

This option to "Print on both sides of paper" will almost always be offered as an option on the "print dialogue" of your Adobe Reader (or other) program that you'll use to send the print job to your printer.

For example, my current  Adobe Reader X (version10.1.2) shows these options when I'm preparing to print a PDF:

Portion of Adobe Reader X Print dialog

(See the tick-box that says "Print on both sides of paper")

Even if you don't use Adobe Reader, I'll predict that you'll be offered a similar option by other programs.  Most programs that "print" will discretely "interrogate" our currently selected printer to "learn" its capabilities, usually as soon as you invoke that program's print-dialogue, and will adapt the "options" that they show, accordingly.

Colin P.

--
Help calm this edgy world - Be quick to smile. Be slow to take offence.
Honor Student
MetalBabe
Message 6 of 6 (2,554 Views)

Even though the Adobe dialog box offers the choice to print two-sided, my Officejet Pro L7680 does not print two-sided consistently. It will print one side of the last page & that's it. Do you have any ides of what could be the issue? Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation