Question

Student
bluestem
Message 1 of 2 (340 Views)

Hp Photosmart C4385 All-in-One not taking paper

We use the HP Photosmart C4385 printer at our house. Those of us who use the printer have computers operating on Windows 7 64 bit operating systems, and we have downloaded the appropriate software so that the printer and computer recognize each other. We recently had an issue where printer won't take paper. We prepare the print job as we always have, but something has changed. We can no longer hear the priner grabbing  the paper with its rollers (usually a somewhat loud indicator that the print job has started), and no matter how much paper is in the printer, we constantly get the error message of "out of paper," although clearly, it is not. I have cleaned all the rollers I could reach, changed how much or little paper I put in for a print job, tried the print and scan doctor. Nothing has helped.  The only change that has happened to the printer that I know about was we had recently changed the ink cartridges. After a couple of print jobs with the new cartridges, there was a ink cartridge jam that was cleared up by removing the cartridges and then placing them back in. After that is when we first noticed the issue with the paper not being taken by the rollers. 

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 2 (324 Views)

Re: Hp Photosmart C4385 All-in-One not taking paper

Hi bluestem,

Try doing a Hard Reset as described in the following link.  Click Here 

If that doesn't help, I recommend that you clean the rollers again and do any steps in the following link that you have not already done.  Click Here  It is important that the paper settings in the computer are as close as possible to the actual paper that travels through the printer. 

If there are not changes, I would suggest doing a Semi Full Reset.  If successful, this would reset the printer to factory defaults and clear the memory.  If the printer was on a wireless network, it would be taken off and would need to be reconnected.  If you want to give this a try, I can send the steps in a private message to your HP Forums in-box.  I would need you to agree not to publish the steps.  Let me know what you decide.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation