Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

the touchscreen display is so light I cannot see any icons on it an do not know how to fix it

118 REPLIES 118
HP Recommended

Hello gmpetri,

To better assist you with this issue, can you tell me what model your printer is N911a, g, or n?

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

it is an N911a

HP Recommended

Ok, is the printer plugged into surge protector or UPS?

If so, plug it directly into the wall, as this sounds like it may be a power issue. If it is already plugged directly into a wall outlet, try switching to a different outlet to see if that helps.

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have just returned from 8 days of travel and have found the same problem with my HP OfficeJet 8600. It looks like a common failure?? My unit is NOT plugged into a surge protector, and line voltage is just fine. It appears a contrast adjustment has been made, except there is no contrast adjustment.

HP Recommended

Ok Vmommo,

It may be that the brightness setting somehow got altered. Here is how to change it if you are able to make out what is on the screen:

• On the printer's control panel, tap the right-arrow (the small triangle on the right), so that the Setup icon becomes visible.
  • Now tap the Setup icon ...
  • Then tap Preferences ...
  • Now if you scroll the Preferences menu "up" using by tapping the nearby down-arrow, there will be a Screen Brightness menu option.

From there, you should be able to change the brightness of the display. Let me know if that helps or not.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried adjusting the brightness (was able to make it out sufficiently to move it up and down the scale). This did not affect the contrast problem.

HP Recommended

OK, let's try resetting the printer.

Follow these steps to reset it:

1. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
  3. Wait 10 seconds, and then plug the power cord directly into the electrical outlet.
  4. Connect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  5. Many power cords have an LED light on the power module or on the end of the cord that plugs into the product. Make sure the LED light is lit and steady.
  6. Press the Power button (  ) to turn on the product.

If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, I recommend that you service the printer.

First, you will want to determine if your printer is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining it’s warranty status, you can go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .

• If your product is in warranty , contact HP.
  • If your product is out of warranty , click here to view additional printer support options starting as low as $20.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejetpro 8600 and the display screen is dark. i cannot get it to show the copy/fax/scan or set up displays

HP Recommended
HP replaced my printer for this problem, but it was still under warranty when they did.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.