Question

Student
JBWelna
Message 1 of 2 (2,225 Views)

INPW gives side-by-side errors

I have installed INPW 8.1 on a Dell Optiplex 7010, Win7x86 Pro.

When I try to run the wizard, I receive the error:

"The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxtrace.exe tool for more detail."

When I review the application log I see a sidebyside event35,  with the following details:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          10/19/2012 8:20:08 PM
Event ID:      35
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      REALESTATE8.BLINSKYLAW.LOCAL
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Install Network Printer Wizard 8.1\hpjsi.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Install Network Printer Wizard 8.1\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.MANIFEST" on line 4. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0". Definition is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Any ideas??? I have used INPW 100's of times without this error. In fact, it successfully installed on an almost identical network client 5 minutes earlier. The only difference is that the system that worked was an Optiplex 790, while the one that didn't was an Optiplex 7010.

I can install a TCP/IP port manually without the wizard, so ultimately there is no problem, but I am bothered that INPW doesn't work.

Maybe INPW needs an update to match updates to Visual C++ redistributables?

Any help or insight appreciated. Calling HP yielded no one capable of understanding the problem.

Thanks

Joe Welna

Student
mtnsports
Message 2 of 2 (2,063 Views)

Re: INPW gives side-by-side errors

Hi Joe,

I had the same problem trying to install INPW on a Win7 x64 machine that I had just refreshed with a clean OS install.  I tried some of the other suggestions, like opening a command line window as an administrator and running "sfc /scannow" (which came up with no problems in my case), but still had the error when I tried to run the wizard.

Some suggested updating the Visual C++ redistributables, as you suspected might be needed in your case, so I downloaded the 2005, 2008, and 2010 redistributables and the service packs for each, then ran Windows Update to get the latest updates.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled INPW, and it works without the error now.

Hopes this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation