Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet CP1217
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I'm having an issue with my CP1217 which has only started recently.  Trying to print images results in printing out solid black squares to the dimensions of the image.

Nothing has changed recently.

To resolve, I've tried the following:

I've reset the printer several times.

I've reinstalled the drivers.

I've upgraded the firmware.

I can't see anything else obviously wrong.  If anyone can suggest what else to try...?

Thanks,

D.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Deannawol,

I see you are having difficulties printing images, and the result of your prints are solid black squares. Does this only occur when you print images, and are you printing photo images on photo paper, or images incorporated within a document? Perhaps this only happens when you print from one particular program, have you noticed?

While I wait to hear back from you please use the following document to troubleshoot the issue: HP Color LaserJet CP1215 and CP1217 Printers - Resolving Print Quality Issues.

You will see that Solution eight suggest you print a configuration page, please let me know the outcome of this page too.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is happening when any image is printed.  This includes images that are printed as part of a document.  It's happening when I print a PDF which contains an image, it happens when I print from Word or from a webpage.  It happens when I print an image just from the Microsoft Office Picture Manager program as well. 

I printed a configuration page as a test, which doesn't contain images but does contain colours, and this printed as expected.  Printing colours from a document is absolutely fine.  It's really just images that are coming out as solid black squares.

HP Recommended

Good morning @Deannawol,

Based on your description, I suspect the issue has something to do with the driver. Since the issue arises when you print from all programs, I don't imagine the root cause is the programs you are using. Let's try another uninstall using a different approach. Please complete the steps below and let me know the outcome of your efforts:

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Uninstall the software again - Uninstalling the Printer Software Instructions
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
       *Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer
  6. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  7. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  8. Restart the computer
  9. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box

Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
    • Type services.msc and press Enter
    • Locate Print Spooler and double click on it to open the Spooler properites print spooler.JPG
    • Make sure startup type is set to Automatic, if it is not please click on the drop down and choose Automaticprinter server properties.JPG
    • Under Service status, please Stop the server, and then wait a moment and click Start

Deleting the printer from Printer Server Properties

1. Open the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

•  Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
    • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
    • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

10. Install the software from the disk you have and not the basic driver from the website. If you do not have the disk, download and run the software from here: This is for the CP1215, but I beleive this should work: HP Color LaserJet Full Feature Software and Drivers

I look forward to hearing back from you, and am eager to see this resolved!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi, I ended up going to the printer properties in Control Panel and adjust the print processor setting to HP1215 PrintProc, whereas before it was on ZIMFPRINT.

That's solved the problem.  Not sure how the print processor changed but it seems to have fixed the issues.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.