Question

Tutor
staMerrill
Message 1 of 5 (179 Views)

LaserJet 100 color MFP 175nw Prints Hundreds of Pages of Random UNICODE Characters

Hi all, I'm having a bit of a problem with our LaserJet 100 color MFP 175nw printer.

As mentioned in the title, my printer is printing off all of it's available paper with just one line of UNICODE characters at the top.  Needless to say, this wasn't something I did.

My network is completely secure, (eg., my wireless is passworded, not that I think one of our neighbors would do this) and no ports are open to the internet on my router, even though they'd only be directed towards my computer.

The printer did this before about 5 nights ago, and I would only be able to stop it by unplugging it.  For some reason, it wouldn't turn off when I hit the power button nor would it cancel the job when I hit cancel.  All it would say was, "Cancelling", and eventually it would stop "Cancelling" and go back to "Printing Document".  I finally fixed the problem by reseting the device. (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or allowed to post how to do that, I had to call support after looking for some time on these forums.  If you need to know how I did it, ask, and I will post).

I have updated the printer's firmware to 20131028, which is the newest available on the product page here.

Previously, I had the device configured with HP ePrint, and subsequently Google Cloud Print, (I used the HP-provided ePrint email to configure Google Cloud Print, this is important!).  When I reset the device, I obviously reset the ePrint settings, which seemed to fix the problem.

However, it's now back.  Any ideas?

I'm about to go uninstall the drivers from all of our computers, for some reason, one of our Windows 8(.1) computer's can't print with it, however the driver install correctly.

Below is a scan of a page (oddly enough, I managed to stop the random printer and got this to scan):

Weird Random Text

Tutor
staMerrill
Message 2 of 5 (172 Views)

Re: LaserJet 100 color MFP 175nw Prints Hundreds of Pages of Random UNICODE Characters

I should also add that we have a few computers on the network, most attached via the router either through wired or wireless, (but the network protocol is not the question, (eg., wireless and wired use TCP and UDP the same as wired, so the printer wouldn't react differently):

2 computers using WINDOWS 8.1 connected via WIRELESS

1 computer using WINDOWS 7 SP1 connected via WIRED

1 computer using WINDOWS 7 SP1 connected via USB

I hope that's enough information for now, but please ask for any more you need.

Thanks, Asher

PhD Student
dansdaduk
Message 3 of 5 (156 Views)

Re: LaserJet 100 color MFP 175nw Prints Hundreds of Pages of Random UNICODE Characters

Several possible causes:

• The driver (on one or more of the workstations) is generating corrupt data.
  • The print stream generated by the printer driver is being corrupted between driver and printer; e.g. bad cable, port, switch, hub, etc.
  • The JetDirect card in the printer is bad (if it is a TCP/IP connected printer).
  • The formatter in the printer is bad.

Second option is the usual cause of your symptoms.

Tutor
staMerrill
Message 4 of 5 (147 Views)

Thank you for the response.

And actually, it might have fixed it.

I figured out that when I turn on the computer my work gave me (which I rarely turn off, so it's possible it could be the reason it was rather unpredictable) it will start printing the weird text. So, I uninstalled the driver, and it at least doesn't start anymore.

Ill give it a little time to see if that was actually the cause, and I'll report back.

Also, I'm not going to reinstall the driver... The computer they gave me is pretty terrible, and I just use my own, anyway.
Tutor
staMerrill
Message 5 of 5 (85 Views)

That was the problem.

Never reinstalled the driver, and it's fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation