Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (737 Views)

Laserjet 1022 paper feed/jam problem

Hi Guys!

My olg Laserjet 1022 has worked fine for years!

Recently it started to make a few funny clunking sounds whne printing (but not when initialising).

I have now installed Win 7 x64 on my computer and the printer has gone completely haywire! I have downloaded and installed correct drivers.

Every time I print, the printer prints the page and then feeds an extra sheet which goes half way through the printer and the printer then jams.

I have searched the forums but can't find any posts that have the same problem as this.

Please help!!! Otherwise I will have to bin "old faithful" and get a new printer!!

Cheers.

Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 6 (724 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1022 paper feed/jam problem

Hi there,

Try downloading and running the print and scan doctor located here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03275041&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

It can fix a lot on its own and if not give a better idea of what is going on.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (715 Views)

Thanks JohnB.

Done that and it says everything is OK, but it isn't!!

Any more ideas?

Cheers.

Distinguished Professor
Message 4 of 6 (706 Views)

DerekMallorca

With there being no software issue detected lets inspect the hardware. Use this article to inspect, give the steps a shot and let me know the results:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01561369&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (540 Views)

I have the same problem of a laserjet 1022 that jams after the 1st page has printed successfully. The second page feeds about 2/3 the way through.  I have followed the instructions for downloading HP print and scan doctor with no problems reported then I followed the other suggested trouble shooting again with no solution. Did JohnB solve this problem for you? 

Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (200 Views)

mighty mouse here, come to save the day, maybe. yeah it's a hardware issue, but it's just a springSmiley Happy the clunking noise is the sound of picking a sheet of paper.  the problem is that it clunks too many times because the spring on the feed solenoid has become weak, and the pick roller keeps feeding paper even though the printer doesn't need it.  The jam happens because the printer frequently doesn't know what to do with the extra paper, since it didn't ask for it.  you need the service manual, or the you tube video that shows how to take off the right side panel (only one screw and a bit of tugging in the right place, hence the video is helpful).  the solenoid is in the bottom rear on the right side, has a 2 wire cable going to it from the controller PC board, and is easily removed with one black screw.  carefully shorten the spring one or two turns of the coil(in my case the adjustment bar that anchored the spring was already in the max tension position so I couldn't just bend the bar, maybe you can on yours) and reattach it.  You can watch the mechanism before and after, if you like, it is educational.  before you fix it, with the side cover off, press and release the online button (no computer needed, and this is a good way to insure the printer only asks for one sheet) and you can see the solenoid pick, and then you can see the white gear go around more than once.  It should not.  One revolution of the pickup shaft should be enough, with an adequately sticky and clean pickup roller (see elsewhere for how to clean this or replace it, it's easy to clean and cheap to replace).  If the printer needs to push the paper farther to get printing started, it will activate the shaft again.  the point is that the solenoid is only energized for a quarter of a second but the weak spring doeesn't return the solenoid lever to the stop position with enough force to catch the white cam surface the next time around.  Anyway, tighten the spring, and now you should see the pickup shaft turn exactly once per button press.  Note the distinction betwen feed issues,where a slick roller gives no pickup and a slick separator pad gives you double sheet pickup, this is a sequential extra pickup of single sheets.  little victories.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation