Question

Honor Student
modifer
Message 1 of 3 (72 Views)

Laserjet 4v

I have a good condition working Laserjet 4v now for 13 years (use wide format to print film for T-shirt business) and was leveraged(Adobe Cloud) to install Windows 8.1 yielding the printer worthless. HP does not provide the needed drivers for 8.1 or any other operating system (now) as it turns out. So I bought a used HP Pavilion minus the hard drive. I will buy and install a new Win XP OS on a new hard drive but I am worried it will not have drivers available that are required. I haven't landed on any search to answer how or where the drivers can be had so that I don't have to throw away a perfectly useable printer and have to buy a very expensive solution. Anybody know how and/or where I can get necessary drivers to operate on a XP OS? HP is no help. Their tech just giggled at my problem. They want to sell the expensive solution instead.

Master's Graduate
dansdaduk
Message 2 of 3 (60 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4v

My Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit system contains built-in (Microsoft supplied) drivers:

HP LaserJet 4V

HP LaserJet 4V/4MV PostScript

The drivers may not be there by default; you may have to click the Windows Update button in the Add Printer dialogue, then wait (perhaps several minutes) whilst the additional drivers are downloaded, and the printer list repopulated, before you can select these drivers.

Honor Student
modifer
Message 3 of 3 (48 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4v

Thanks for the reply. The printer does show up on the list of installed printers at this point however it is a shell or bare bones; paper size and amount of copies. I'll take your advise but the worry is that what little representation this printer has driver wise will be removed when opening up the add printer option. i know that is a bit paranoid but I was told that Windows 8.1 would remove my old software whick it did for the most part. Any how I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation