11-21-2013 11:39 AM
I have a good condition working Laserjet 4v now for 13 years (use wide format to print film for T-shirt business) and was leveraged(Adobe Cloud) to install Windows 8.1 yielding the printer worthless. HP does not provide the needed drivers for 8.1 or any other operating system (now) as it turns out. So I bought a used HP Pavilion minus the hard drive. I will buy and install a new Win XP OS on a new hard drive but I am worried it will not have drivers available that are required. I haven't landed on any search to answer how or where the drivers can be had so that I don't have to throw away a perfectly useable printer and have to buy a very expensive solution. Anybody know how and/or where I can get necessary drivers to operate on a XP OS? HP is no help. Their tech just giggled at my problem. They want to sell the expensive solution instead.
11-22-2013 03:57 AM
My Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit system contains built-in (Microsoft supplied) drivers:
HP LaserJet 4V
HP LaserJet 4V/4MV PostScript
The drivers may not be there by default; you may have to click the Windows Update button in the Add Printer dialogue, then wait (perhaps several minutes) whilst the additional drivers are downloaded, and the printer list repopulated, before you can select these drivers.
11-25-2013 12:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. The printer does show up on the list of installed printers at this point however it is a shell or bare bones; paper size and amount of copies. I'll take your advise but the worry is that what little representation this printer has driver wise will be removed when opening up the add printer option. i know that is a bit paranoid but I was told that Windows 8.1 would remove my old software whick it did for the most part. Any how I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One and 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer Series