Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 200 Color M251nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My printer, Laserjet Pro 200 Color M251nw, always offline when it has been not in use for a few hours. And, it cannot be printed after the offline. How can I solve this problem? Looking for your advice.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi @kingchechan ,

I see that you are experiencing issues with the printer going offline after the printer isn't being used for a few hours.
I would be happy to help you.

You may have to turn the printer off and on again to get it to wake up.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

Please try the steps in this document to see if it will resolve this issue.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I've been having this same problem.  I tried clicking the link to your article, but it says "page not found".  Can you post the solution again?

HP Recommended

Dear Sir/Madam,

Just as another commenter noted, the article for which you shared the link is not available. We are receiving a "404 Error" message. This is really frustrating---especially when this printer is just a few months old and was so expensive. Could you please mangage a repsonse within the next day or so----even though I need something printed out now? (It is the 28th of January 2016.)  I see that the last commenter left a message on the 11th of January 2016 and has not yet received a reply. Thank you kindly for your professionalism and timely response. 

MrTonyStewart

Basel, Switzerland

ps, My printer is the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Have to re-boot both printer and computer several times. The linked article does not exist.

HP? are you awake? Do you care?

Do you want us to buy another HP product ever?

After several days of this nonsense, the wonderful HP printer is a dead doorstop. Interesting, I can connect via the IP address, and get current information- so there is some connectivity. But as far as printing documents go, it is DEAD DEAD DEAD.

HP? Anyone home?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for informing me that the link isn't working. I was just notified today of the recent posts. 

Here is the document that I had provided, HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 7).

Here are some more steps to try, especially if you are using Windows 10.

Check to see what port was assigned to the printer.
From Devices and Printers, right click your printer and left click Printer Properties.
Click on the Ports tab.
If the printer is selected on the WSD port, try and create a new port by clicking on the Add Port button. You might have one in the list for TCP/IP for your printer name, if you do just select it and Apply the Settings.

We have one more setting to check from the Ports tab, uncheck SNMP Status Enabled.

Then Click OK and Apply.

Try printing again.

If you need additional help, please let me know what operating system you are using and how the printer is connected. Thanks! If you don't hear back from me right away, send me a PM.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The link you posted still comes up with a 404 not found ... ugh

HP Recommended

Hi @GEHAssociates,

Thanks for letting me know the link didn't work. I have provided the link again: HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows).

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my Color laserjet M452nw. I try ti print anything and it just goes to the que and sits there. The printer is alwaye shown as offline. I have tried the links that keep getting posted but always get a blank screen, no error code just blank. I have tried the  posted suggestion but when I go to the Control Panel/Devices and Printers/ right click on the printer and then select Properties all I get are two tabs, one is labeled General ad the other is Hardware. I get nothing about Ports. I am using Windows 10. Printer has only worked one day since I got it. 

HP Recommended

Has anyone ever resolved this issue?  I bought an m252dw this december, and am having the same exact issue.  I follwed all of the steps I could in the link HP posted further down in the thread with no luck.  It seems like so many people are having this problem - why haven't they fixed it yet?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.