Question

Top Student
CJK_ND
Message 1 of 6 (2,681 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laserjet Pro 400 (M401dn) Paper Jams From Both Trays

Our organization just purchased a brand-new M401dn, and I was setting it up out of the box. After configuring IP, I went to print a report. The paper jammed from Tray 2 with the message "Jam in cartridge area. Open door and clear jam". So I cleared it and started again. All to no avail; it keeps jamming. I tried printing from Tray 1 and it's the same; the paper is getting folded up in almost a concertina-style and not feeding through properly.

I've set the correct paper sizes (Letter) in the printer, updated its firmware, checked to see if there was anything snagged in the paper transport (there isn't anything), and I'm running out of ideas. The paper weight I'm using is 20lb (75g/m2), so that shouldn't cause any problems with transport.

We've purchased three M401n's before, and they've been a snap to set up. Thus far, I am very far from impressed with the M401dn. Any suggestions / ideas would be received gratefully.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 6 (2,669 Views)

Re: Laserjet Pro 400 (M401dn) Paper Jams From Both Trays

My initial question is how recently was the unit purchased, and have you contacted the phone support? On most hardware issues it's best to contact phone support directly so that they can offer you the best, most immediate assistance and they have the power to replace the unit in some cases if that is necessary. 

Aside from that, have you been sure to check the internal parts of the machine for anything that is out of place or any debris 

Let me know! 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you are having a wonderful day! 

Top Student
CJK_ND
Message 3 of 6 (2,658 Views)

Thank you for your reply, Spencer.

The printer was purchased last week, and I was setting it up on Monday when I noticed this issue. I did call HP Support yesterday, and worked with a very friendly and helpful lady called Catalina. After going through the various troubleshooting options, we've determined the unit is damaged and we'll have to RMA it through the re-seller.

I do like to ask others before resorting to support, because sometimes it's even basic things which may have been forgotten. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case in this circumstance. Oh, well...c'est la vie!

Best regards,

CJK

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 6 (2,651 Views)

That is fantastic to hear! I am glad you will be back up and running, and if you ever have any further questions or issues I hope that you remember the experience you had here on the forums and know that me and my colleagues are here almost 24-7 to help support you and your needs.

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer

Top Student
CJK_ND
Message 5 of 6 (2,633 Views)

Thanks again, Spencer.

It was certainly a lot less painful than other tech support experiences I've encountered! heh

Have a good weekend :smileyhappy:

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 6 (2,621 Views)

I am glad that I was able to bring you that expereince. 

Hopefully you won't have to come back, but if you do I hope you remember this expereince 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you had a great weekend and have had a wonderful day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation