Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Last night I upgraded our M603 (model CE996A) printer with 5-bin mailbox to the latest firmware (2302786_433718). Since then all print jobs set to output to 'Output bin 1' get stuck on the printer with the message 'open rear door'. If you do this, the print job prints to the rear door (just above the duplex unit).

Output bins 2-5 continue to work as normal. Please can someone from HP investigate and replicate this? We have another identical M603 with 5-bin mailbox, but don't want to upgrade the firmware on this as I suspect it will break this too.

Thanks.

Michael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am sorry to understand that you have experienced issues with your HP product after firmware upgrade.

Try to upgrade printer drivers or using Universal print driver - UPD, check if the installed accessory is correctly recognized by the driver (accessories or simimar tab from driver properties).

Please initiate a support case with regional HP support (warranty or out of warranty), this will be helpful to obtain solution.

Please try to perform following steps to ensure a successful firmware upgrade, which will help to understand the issue better:

Turn off device, disconnect the outbin mailbox accessory and any other accessofies (duplexer, envelope feeder, additional LAN card etc.) from the device, turn on device till READY, re-send the firmware upgrade.  After upgrade, turn off device, connect all accessories & turn on.  From the device configuration pages, verify the firmware versions for formatter & accessories as provided in the firmware README file, test printing from output bin 1.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I am sorry to understand that you have experienced issues with your HP product after firmware upgrade.

Try to upgrade printer drivers or using Universal print driver - UPD, check if the installed accessory is correctly recognized by the driver (accessories or simimar tab from driver properties).

Please initiate a support case with regional HP support (warranty or out of warranty), this will be helpful to obtain solution.

Please try to perform following steps to ensure a successful firmware upgrade, which will help to understand the issue better:

Turn off device, disconnect the outbin mailbox accessory and any other accessofies (duplexer, envelope feeder, additional LAN card etc.) from the device, turn on device till READY, re-send the firmware upgrade.  After upgrade, turn off device, connect all accessories & turn on.  From the device configuration pages, verify the firmware versions for formatter & accessories as provided in the firmware README file, test printing from output bin 1.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I spent some more time on this yesterday and upgrading the driver to the latest PostScript UPD driver does fix the issue. 

I used driver 'HP Universal Printing PS (v5.8.0)

HP Recommended

I just ran into this as well.  I'll try what was suggested about updating the firmware with the mailbox removed, but I have little confidence on this being the solution.  I'm also not fond of using the PS driver.

I'd like to know if there's a way to roll the firmware update back, since the printer worked correctly before.

The reason I updated the firmware in the first place was to fix the cerfiticate error you get browsing the printer from a PC.  Unfortunately it not only didn't fix that, but also broke the mailbox. x.x

Kiran

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.