07-11-2013 07:45 AM
I am currently trying a to replace a broken officejet 4500 multifunction copier, fax, scanner machine that is used in a virtualized Server 2008 R2 environment over a network connection. I have found most multi fuction machines will print just fine using windows 7 drivers, however scanning over the network is often not compatible. Does any one know of any multifuction machines that would fit the bill? It appears the 4620 does not have 2008 R2 listed as a compatible OS.
07-11-2013 01:28 PM
OfficeJets are not designed to be fully compatible with Print Servers. They are more intended for home office users so it doesnt surprise me that network scanning from a server is not supported. I'd bet only UPD's are available which cover only printing.
If you only have to worry about a few computers then you should install the scanning software for the OS on your computers and set it up as a new network connection. That way the scan drivers will be loaded and ready to go when you point it to your networked printer. Launch a scanning application like the one from HP or the defaults from your OS to conduct network scanning. If you still want print to go through the print server then modify the printing object to go through that device instead.
For more computers you will need to set up either the Scan to Folder or Scan to Email feature. This will allow users to scan directly from the printer without installing software on thier machines. To do this you will need to sign into the Embedded Web Server and configure the Scan to Folder/Email feature from there. The EWS is accessed by typing in the IP Address of the printer into a web browser.
Let us know if you need more assistance.
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One and 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer Series