My Deskjet 842C prints a single page onto multiple partial pages... but not always. (120 Views)
Honor Student
annwiseman
Message 1 of 5 (120 Views)

My Deskjet 842C prints a single page onto multiple partial pages... but not always.

I have an HP Deskjet 842C connected directly to my iMac computer running OS X.  Sometimes it prints fine, but sometimes it prints a part of the page then spits out that sheet and continues on the next.  Sometimes it prints one line on each of several pages... then it might print the next copy (if I told it I needed multiple copies of the same document) just fine.  

I used to have this printer hooked up to my Dell PC and it worked perfectly.  Since all the ports on my iMac are USB, I had to purchase a different cable to connect the printer to this computer; I bought something cheap online.

I also have the problem where the printer connection is lost and the printer information pop-up box shows "idle", but I just click "Stop Jobs", unplug the USB from the iMac, plug it back in and click "Start Jobs" and it prints fine.  I can deal with that.

But this multiple page printing thing is driving me nuts!  I have a LOT of scrap paper now.  : (

Help!

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 5 (103 Views)

Re: My Deskjet 842C prints a single page onto multiple partial pages... but not always.

Hey Ann, What version of OS X are you running? Sounds like you have an obsecure print driver.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
annwiseman
Message 3 of 5 (100 Views)

Re: My Deskjet 842C prints a single page onto multiple partial pages... but not always.

It's running 10.4.11 which is the highest I've been able to update to.  (It's an old computer...)

The printer is getting worse about doing the multiple page printing thing.  If I set the printer to Draft quality, it prints properly almost every time.  It's just when it's in Normal print mode that it prints one page onto two or more pieces of paper, at least half the time.  It's not that it's grabbing more than one piece of paper at a time (like the old Laserjet V used to do), it's actually printing the top of the page on one sheet of paper, spitting it out, feeding the next paper and finishing the page, or worse, sometimes printing just one line on 4 or 5 papers in a row.  Of course it does this on things that I need to be a nice pretty finished document for reproduction on a standard copier or at the print shop (I do some graphic design projects) or just a document I need to give to someone else, so it would be nice if it were on one sheet like it's supposed to be without tape or glue involved...  

Like I said, it worked fine for a few years, when it was hooked up to my Dell.  I hooked it up to this iMac about a year ago.

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 4 of 5 (98 Views)

Hum. Let's uninstall with the 'scrubber option' like this:

1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller and click Continue

2. Highlight your device on the left pane
3. Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
4. There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
5. Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update. This can be done by clicking the Apple in the top left of the screen then clicking Software Updates.

Next, let's reset the printing system:

Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

FInally, download and install the software from here. This will completely uninstall the old driver and let us start fresh to make sure there is no issues with the software you have now.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
annwiseman
Message 5 of 5 (91 Views)

Well, SeanS, I'm apparently running on some sort of Frankenstein system here...  There is NO Hewlett Packard file in my Applications folder.  A search reveals NO file named HP Uninstaller.  When I click on Info in the Printer Utility, it shows me I am using the Driver Version 2.7.1 for an HP Deskjet 840C, which was probably what I had to download to run the Deskjet 842C that I have since it's older.   I don't know where the driver is hiding, and I don't know how to find it!  I do have something called HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg in there somewhere, which appears to be something to install with?

I know just enough about computers to be scary...  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation