My Photosmart 5514 will not print in color, although it will copy in color just fine. (716 Views)
Honor Student
opticomm
Message 1 of 5 (716 Views)

My Photosmart 5514 will not print in color, although it will copy in color just fine.

This is a new printer, couple of days old, so cartridge levels are high inasmuch as it hasn't been used much yet.  I'm running wirelessly and printing from an iMac running Lion.  The Print Quality Diagnostics Report prints out perfectly in color.  Am I missing something very obvious? 

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 5 (696 Views)

Re: My Photosmart 5514 will not print in color, although it will copy in color just fine.

Hello,

Thanks for the post and the great information.  You've identified that the printer (Stand alone) is printing fine in color, this leads me to believe that we have a driver related issue.  When you installed this printer, did you use the disc that came with it, or download from HP.com or APPLE Software update?  I've included a couple of links below to check/verify.  The way it is described, I think we may be printing to another printer.  (using another printer driver, verify by opening something and choose file/print, which printer is listed?)  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=50963...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01664444&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang...

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
opticomm
Message 3 of 5 (695 Views)

Re: My Photosmart 5514 will not print in color, although it will copy in color just fine.

Thanks for your response.  Slight misunderstanding on your part, though, i.e. the 5514 will make perfect copies in color, but will not print (website, email etc from my iMac) in color.  That leads me to believe it's something other than a driver problem.  Not having received any replies from the forum for a couple of days I checked in w/ HP Tech Support.  He had me delete the printer and reinstall and then it printed perfectly in color.  But when I went to print something the next day (today) it had relapsed into printing black only again.  So I'm still stymied; I shouldn't have to delete and reinstall every time I want to print in color!  Can you help with this?

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 4 of 5 (693 Views)

Hello Again,

No, you should not have to remove/re-install each time.  If you had another printer installed on this prior it may be reverting back to that one.  Open a document, choose file/print, click/highlight the 5514 and then choose print/fax preferences from the drop down menu, in this screen you should have the option to set your printer as the default printer.  Make that selection and you should be printing in color at will.  Good Luck!

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
opticomm
Message 5 of 5 (692 Views)

I had already deleted the old printer (a Canon) but I do also have an old HP 1012 Laserjet that use as my workhores. That is my default printer, and I just use the 5514 when I need to print in color, for the most part. I tried your suggestions, changed the default to the 5514 but it still won't print in color. But it does a fine job making color copies. But I do appreciate your continuing help on this. Remember, too, that I'm using an iMac, if that makes any difference.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation