Question

Honor Student
thuibr
Message 1 of 4 (1,551 Views)
Accepted Solution

My computer shuts off or crashes when I print

I have an HP Officejet 6600 and a Toshiba laptop running windows 7 64-bit. Whenever I print off a document, my computer crashes and comes to an error screen. What should I do?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 4 (1,527 Views)

I'll need a little bit more information to be able to best help with this issue.

How do you have this printer connected to the Toshiba laptop?

Are you using USB? If so, does the port you are plugging the USB cable into on the laptop have a blue casing of plastic? If it does, then this is USB3.0 which is not compatible with HP printers at this time.

Are you using a docking station with the Toshiba laptop?

What program are you printing from? Is it only a single document or all documents?

Is the error screen blue? Does it give any specific error messages?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
thuibr
Message 3 of 4 (1,525 Views)

Re: My computer shuts off or crashes when I print

My printer is connected via USB, and it does have the blue casing. That must be my problem. Unfortunately, all of my USB ports have the blue casing. If all of my USN ports are 3.0, how can I safely print? I do not have access to a wifi connection at this time.

I am printing from Google Chrome. Last time I printed, it did not crash. It shuts down about half the time.

Whenever I print more than one document it usually crashes.

I am not using a docking station.

Thank You.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 4 (1,524 Views)

If the PC does not have any USB2.0 ports and only has USB3.0 ports you may be able to use a USB2.0 hub. However, HP does not support the use of USB hubs and functionality may be reduced or non-functional.

You state that you don't have access to a WiFi connection at this time, but until USB3.0 support is made available this may be the best route.

It may be best if you can get a Wireless connection at this time.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation