Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet2540
Windows 8.1

When i print from my computer even if I set a small margin, my printer leaves about 2 inches at the bottom of the page.

How can I fix it?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @pollymatchstick 

Does this happen when you print from all programs or just from one? I would expect a 0.57 inch margin but not 2 inches. Are you finding the print is starting higher up on the page then it should be too, or is maybe the bottom being cut off due to this 2 inch margin?

The specifications below are specific to you printer.
The document margins must match (or exceed) these margin settings in the portrait orientation.
Figure 1: Margins in portrait orientation
Image: Document margins in the portrait orientation
Media 1. Left (LM) 2. Right (RM) 3. Top (TM) 4. Bottom (BM)*
U.S. Letter

U.S. Legal

A4 

U.S. Statement

8.5 x 13 inch

Customized media

Photo media

U.S. Executive

B5

Cards

Custom-sized media

Photo media
3.2 mm (0.12 inch)3.2 mm (0.12 inch)1.5 mm (0.06 inch)Windows: 14.5 mm (0.57 inch) 

Mac and Linux: 12 mm (0.47 inch)
Envelopes4.0 mm (0.16 inch)4.0 mm (0.16 inch)16.5 mm (0.65 inch)16.5 mm (0.65 inch)
*To achieve these margin settings on a computer running Windows, click the Advanced tab in the print driver, and then select Minimize Margins.

Let's test the hardware by performing a copy. If the issue arises when you copy, we will know it is a hardware issue. If it does not, then the issue is related to the computer somehow (driver, software... )
I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

The margin at the top of the paper is fine.  The text seems to be cut off at the bottom.

I will try what you suggest.  If it still does the same, I will take it back to the shop where i bought it.

Thanks again.

Pollymatchsticks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.