Question

Honor Student
OldPO
Message 1 of 5 (703 Views)
Accepted Solution

My printer says that there is a paper jam and there isn't. How do I get it to print?

[ Edited ]

My printer (HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809 series) has been working fine under Windows 7 (64 bit) for 2 years.  I got a real paper jam this morning, removed the offending sheet via the duplexer at the back, opened all the lids/doors and made sure all were properly closed/secured.  Now the printer tells me that there is a paper jam and will not print.  I have swithched the printer off and on several times, with and without rebooting the computer plus pressed the reset button many times and even got sheets of paper to be fed through the printer by pressing the reset and on/off button.  However, I still get the "paper jam" error message and the printer won't print.

Any suggestions? 

Having spent some time trying to get the orinter to work I can now see that, although the top paper "transfer" rollers are working those in the "drop down" rollers feeding the paper from the tray are not.  I guess that the paper jam has broken the roller mechanism and a new printer is required?

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 2 of 5 (679 Views)

Re: My printer says that there is a paper jam and there isn't. How do I get it to print?

Hi OldPO,

Is your printer the A809a or A809n (wireless)?

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
OldPO
Message 3 of 5 (671 Views)

Re: My printer says that there is a paper jam and there isn't. How do I get it to print?

Hi Gordon

Thanks for your interest.

It is the non-wireless 809a.

I've just been looking at it again and found a broken white "cog" .    It is from the far left hand side of the main steel "roller bar" (behind where the ink cartridges go).   It is castallated one side (engages with a black castallated cog with spring still on the "roller bar") and the other side has 2 cutouts to engage with a small "crossbar" on the roller bar.  I think it effectively holds 2 smaller cogs in position to activate the paper feeder rollers.  So, the printer is scrap I think.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 4 of 5 (665 Views)

It does sound like it needs to be repaired/replaced given what you described. If it is still under warranty, I recommend contacting HP support for options.

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
OldPO
Message 5 of 5 (660 Views)

Thanks Gordon.  It is at least 4 years old, so it will have to be a new one!

Cheers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation