Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We've recently started installing these printers on brand new workstations, running Win 7 x64 Pro.  These printers are connected via USB to the workstations, the virtual CD installs the basic drivers, but no matter what we do in printer properties the default paper size remains as A4.

Also other troubleshooting steps are:

- Updated printer firmware

- Manually deleted printer driver from machine, and added know good driver from other Win 7 x64 Pro workstation

- Run HP's driver uninstall utility (which never seems to work)

I've followed the information outlined in these forum guides:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01455146

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/Printer-defaults-to-A4-paper-size/td-p/...

Is there anything I'm missing.  Has there been an update from either HP or Microsoft which breaks these drivers?  Any thoughts, help or other suggestions is appreciated.

Regards,

CaptReiner

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  The workaround we finally used follows:

MFG: HP

- Open Region and Language settings in Control Panel
    Change every conceivable language option to English (United States)
        Formats
        Location - Also change 'Default Location'
        Change Keyboards
            Remove all non English US keyboards.
        Administrative
            Change system locale
            Copy settings
                Copy current settings to
                    Welcome screen
                    New user accounts

- Restart computer
- If printer is installed use uninstall utility found on MFG driver install disk.  Power off printer.
- Restart computer
- Turn on printer, allow Cirtual CD to install required drivers.
- Open Devices and Printers, view Printer Properties and verify correct paper size is selected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums CaptReiner,

I see by your post that the printer is defaulting to A4 paper size.
I can help you with this issue.

What application are you printing from?

Check the application to make sure the paper size is set correctly.

If you are using Word, go to Option/Advanced/Printing and make sure "Scale content" is set properly. (might need to uncheck it)

Try printing from Notepad to see if you have the same results.

Is this the window you are referring to?

(yours would show letter though)

p1606dn general tab.png

Just to make sure, you are going into the printer preferences, on the Paper/Quality tab and selecting Letter/Plain paper

and applying the settings.

Then from the application, you are going to file, page setup, setting it to letter size paper. Then going to file, print, properties, on the Paper/Quality tab and selecting Letter/Plain paper, OK, then select print.

(once the proper paper size is selected, the next time you go to print, it should default to the same paper size)

If you are still having issues, then uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

Uninstalling the Printer Software.

HP LaserJet Full Feature Software and Driver.

Test the printer.

Please provide in detail the results if you are still having issues.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  The workaround we finally used follows:

MFG: HP

- Open Region and Language settings in Control Panel
    Change every conceivable language option to English (United States)
        Formats
        Location - Also change 'Default Location'
        Change Keyboards
            Remove all non English US keyboards.
        Administrative
            Change system locale
            Copy settings
                Copy current settings to
                    Welcome screen
                    New user accounts

- Restart computer
- If printer is installed use uninstall utility found on MFG driver install disk.  Power off printer.
- Restart computer
- Turn on printer, allow Cirtual CD to install required drivers.
- Open Devices and Printers, view Printer Properties and verify correct paper size is selected.

HP Recommended

When I purchased my HP-computer from SAMS here in Georgia, the first problem I saw with the computer was when I went to use the @ key it put quotation marks in place of the @ sign.  I was able to get HP to show me how to reprogram this, the other problem I continue to have is the computer will all programs once they are closed and re-opened default by to A4 paper size.  Need to know what setting I can change to stop this from happening.

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums BES919,

I see by your post that you were able to resolve the @ symbol issue, but the paper size is defaulting to A4. 

I can help you with this.

Change the location settings on the computer to affect the paper default settings. 

Go to start, control panel, Region and Language. Select the Location tab, click on the drop down and select United

States. Then click on the Formats tab and click on the drop down and select English (United States). Sometimes you have to select United Kingdom if it doesn't work.

Restart the computer.

Try printing again after checking the default paper size.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.