Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI,

I have a brand new Laserjet Pro 4000M401dn.  It works perfectly in simplex mode.  But, it would not EVER print a single duplex page.  The page would come out into the tray, then feed back in for the other side and the dsiplay would says "Paper Jam in the Cartridge Area."  I removed the Catridge but no paper is ever anywhere to be found.  Closing it sometimes displayed the same message, but repeating the process would eventually cause it to "Initialize" and eject the page.

I tried several different weights and grades of paper - no difference in results.

I went to the online chat support!  What a joke.  They had me try various insultingly stupid things like move the power from the UPS to the wall.  They told me to print the Menu structure from the touch screen.  It worked perfectly (in simplex).  They told me to print the same report in duplex.  after a few minutes, I told them there was no way to do that.  They told me to hold while they searched for a brain (paraphrasing here).

While they were on their walkabout, I noticed the online Firmware version was 20121026 and I was running 20120221.  I run the update.  I had to reconfigure my IP Address.  I tested it worked perfectly first time and through about 10 test documents of differing types and formats.  Clearly the firmware fixed it.  I waited for chat to come back and inform me there is no way to print duplex from the touchscreen!  I told them the fix.

I thought everything was peachy, but no.  The next day the printer had gone into sleep mode and upon awakening, the duplex error had returned.  Power off and back on and you can print duplex.

I call small business tech support.  Their solution is to Disable Sleep Mode!  I can accept this provided someone tells the firmware group to fix the bug on wake up.  So if anyone from HP reads this, please pass it along to someone smarter than first line tech support.

Thanks and I hope this helps others out since tech support is complete unaware of the problem of the Firmware fix.

Sean

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I have a customer with the same issue. Thanks for the tip. If I find a solution for the wake up problem, I'll post it.

HP Recommended

My earlier post appears to have been premature.  The problem recurred and nothing I did could fix it.  I finally swapped for a new one at place of purchase and have never had an issue since.  It was definitely a hardware/manufacturing issue.

HP Recommended

hi all, i have seen a few of these now, and the issue is the lower druplex feed rollers are not engaging corect,

remove both side panels, remove rear cover including duplex plate ( they come out as one)

then undo the screw that holds the tray 2 pickup roller sloiniod,( right hand side) it will not full out of place but just hang there,

then just under soliniod that you will see a black screw that holds a cover plate that goes from one side to the other under the paper tray,

this plate needs removing, then when its removed you can turn the printer on its side and see the duplex feed rollers,

now at one end is a spring loaded arm that engages with the main drive,

the spring that holds this has come out of place, look and you will see one lenth of the spring hanging down,

it needs pushing back and round its tang to make the white plastic arm assembly under more tension.

good luck. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks shotgunal for your help, I've try your solution but doesn't work for me 😕

Someone have another solution ?

Thanks in advance !!

HP Recommended

Hi - I'm trying to go through your steps on fixing this unfortunately-common problem, but need some (or A LOT of) help in follwing the steps as I'm trying to correlate your steps with the service manual.

So far, I got the 2 side covers and the rear cover off, but have no idea where to look for the Tray 2 solenoid.  The table of contents has only the tray 1 solenoid and the duplex solenoid listed.

If I'm looking at the right side of the printer, where would I find the screw I need to loosen?  And where is the cover plate for the duplex feed roller?  Is it on the bottom, and if so, towards the front or back of the printer? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

HP Recommended

OK I think I have it figured out!!!  I just ran over 60 pages of duplex print after the fix and the jam is gone!!!!

In the Paper Setup, the default was set to Light i.e. 60-74g paper, but standard copy / printer paper is 75g.  The jam is occurring during Duplex Printing, so if the printer thinks the paper is more fragile, it will use less pressure and not pick it up properly, which results in a jam!

Changing the paper type to Plain (in pritner's web page, go to System tab, and Paper Setup, and set the Default Paper Type to Plain.

That's It!!!

It was probably an error in the factory default settings that set the default paper type incorectly.  Hopefully that's been corrected in future printers rolling off the line.

Of course, I just spent over 2 late nights taking the printer apart and trying to follow the directions that did not correlate, yet the root cause was so stupid and the fix was so simple!

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem, jams in the duplex, time on time, or permanently

at first thought it was electronics, formatter board, and replacing a known good formatter nothing has changed.
Suspected optical sensor the paper, but he also proved to be defective.

The problem I had the purely mechanical
I find out, replace the fuser with a known-good printer of the same.

Yes, for a short period of time, it helped me the option that offered ckennylin, change the paper in the tray on the "Light"
but it does not help for long, after the printer goes to sleep, or shut down, the problem recurred.

Treatment of the disease duplex (helped me)

We take out the fuser, unscrew his right side, and then we have the possibility to remove the gauge more accurately the paper itself long plastic tab recorder and a little loaded spring that it returns to its original position after a run of paper in duplex

By default, these defective models, it is highly compressed, and after a short use, contracts and relaxes, the spring can not return the recorder and the tab to its original position, therefore, after a paper LED sensor is not covered and the printer thinks the paper is jammed, which leads to this phantom jam just on time or permanently.

the problem personally, I was in it.

sorry for my English 🙂

HP Recommended

HELLO ANYONE. I am an It Tech, Not a printer repairemen, but i work On a lot of printer's and repair them with commom sense. I have a hp laserjet pro 400 M401. I keep getting paper jams in cartraige Area.  I have two of these hp Laserjet pro 400 printers doing the same thing. Can someone point me to some instruction on where and how to remove the hp pro 400 fuser??? Is it at the back of the printer of under the bottom.???What has to be removed to get to the fuser??? OR do anyone have any solution to why I keep getting jam in cartraige area.......................    

HP Recommended

How did you turn sleep mode off? When I go to it in the settings menu the only choices are 5 min, 15 min, 30 min or 1 hour. There is no choice of "Off" or "Never" or anything to indicate that itwon't go to sleep. I set the 'Shut off' to Never, but that is another matter.

Thanks for any help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.