Question

Tutor
m-martin
Message 1 of 17 (4,487 Views)
Accepted Solution

New Windows 8 laptop does not recognize printer even though printer says it is connected.

[ Edited ]

My old laptop fried, so I bought a new laptop that had Windows 8.  My printer is a Photosmart Series 5510 B111A #CQ176A and at first my printer wasn't compatible, so I downloaded the software from the HP website that made it compatible.  It worked, but while I was printing my school notes I absent-mindedly turned off my laptop.  The printer stopped midway, so I turned my laptop back on but the printer didn't continue.  I cancelled the print and attempted to reprint, but then my printer stopped responding.  All my reprints AND the original print were all stuck in the queue and my microsoft word (2013) said the printer was offline, but the printer itself said it was onine and connected.  I tried that HP Doctor Scan or whatever it's called and it said nothing was wrong and it printed a test page; however, when I tried to reprint my notes it would not respond.

Finally, I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it.  It said my printer successfully connected, but microsoft word doesn't even list my printer even though my printer says it is connected.

Does anyone know how to help me?  I'm not very technical so please, if you could provide easy-to-follow instructions I would appreciate it, thank you.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 17 (4,471 Views)

Re: New Windows 8 laptop does not recognize printer even though printer says it is connected.

Hi, there is a firmware update for your 5510 which may solve your Word problem.

Here is the HP link, just download and run the file.

If you need help installing the file read the How to install section in the same link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
m-martin
Message 3 of 17 (4,468 Views)

Re: New Windows 8 laptop does not recognize printer even though printer says it is connected.

I downloaded and ran it, but it said:

"This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update."

Is there something else I need to download before I can run this?

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 17 (4,464 Views)

No there is not.

How is the printer connected?

It is possible that the firmware is already up to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
m-martin
Message 5 of 17 (4,459 Views)

It is connected wirelessly.  The firmware could be updated already, but I'm not sure.  Like I said earlier I had downloaded an update from HP that made my printer compatible with Windows 8, so maybe that was it?

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 6 of 17 (4,454 Views)

The printer must be connected thru the USB port for the firmware update to work. 

I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
m-martin
Message 7 of 17 (4,436 Views)

Ok, I borrow a USB cord from my friend and attempted to install the firmware, but it repeated the same message.  My printer IS capable of printing now that it's plugged in via USB, but I'd stil like to figure out how to fix the wireless portion. After successfully printing off a page, I disconnected the USB and tried wirelessly, but my computer still says it is offlie.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 8 of 17 (4,434 Views)

Ok, take a look at this link.

What IP is assigned to your printer when you print the wireless test report? 

I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
m-martin
Message 9 of 17 (4,427 Views)

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 10 of 17 (4,417 Views)

Run Microsoft Fixit.

Select Print, fax, scan, share or save option.

Then Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically option.

On the report that you printed for the IP did you see a reference to firmware #?

I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation