Question

Student
nishikibob
Message 1 of 7 (300 Views)

OFFICEJET 6500A WILL NOT PICK UP PAPER

Printer has stopped picking up paper from the lower tray.  The feeder "foot" comes down but goes back up without pushing paper forward.  I may have caused the problem while feeding an envelope and pulling back on a sheet of paper that was also being fed at the same time.

Is this user serviceable?

Out of warranty..any suggestions for Reasonable Repair.. in San Diego, CA ??

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 7 (288 Views)

It may and my not be. It depends on whether you stripped the gears, or just locked the printer up temporarily. The document linked below will take you through most of what can be done. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll send you the steps for a special reset.

http://goo.gl/njD82
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
nplatt75
Message 3 of 7 (267 Views)

Re: OFFICEJET 6500A WILL NOT PICK UP PAPER

Is there a way to check if the gears have been ruined?  I have been having a paper feed issue (the top set of gears are moving furiously, but bottom set of gears on paper feed barely moving (can only print by shoving paper in myself).  Any fix for this or need a new printer?  Thanks

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 7 (250 Views)

Are you using the 6500A as well, and if so, did you try the document I linked above? (I'm assuming you did, but I want to be sure.)

The only way to tell if the gears are stripped is to look at them and see if they are smoothed over. It's not easy to get a good view of them, if you can see them at all, and there is no way to repair them if they are stripped.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
kimburu
Message 5 of 7 (124 Views)

I changed paper to different kind of white printer paper  (seemed a little heavier) and the rollers will not pull it into the printer

Tried old paper and will not pull that through now also.

I get HP message that printer is out of paper.

This machine is about 5 years old with light usage.

Student
Dudogger
Message 6 of 7 (44 Views)

So, once again, cheap, irreplacable, easily-damaged plastic components is how HP gets customers to have to buy all new printers prematurely?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 7 of 7 (37 Views)

Hi @kimburu 

You may need to simply clean the rollers. Please open the following document and complete all of the solutions presented; 'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the All-in-One. Although you are not experiencing a paper jam, the steps in that document can help.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation