Question

Tutor
jlongii
Message 1 of 12 (2,328 Views)
Accepted Solution

Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a printer failure

I have a recurring printer failure that displays the message on the printer screen as follows:

Printer Error

Please turn Printer Off and then On

That's it-no codes or any other information.  It happens repeatedly and at totally random times.  I have had extensive contact with HP and done all of the applicable resets, a new print head assembly and most recently a whole new printer.  Just today I moved it to a different location with a different power source and a different router and about 2 hours later same thing.  Just glanced over at the printer and there it is again after less than 5 minutes.

I restart it and it will be fine for some indeterminate amount of time.  I actually only have to press the power button once as it will automatically restart with one push.

I really don't know what to do.

Tutor
jlongii
Message 2 of 12 (2,327 Views)

Re: Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a printer failure

By the way HP has been very diligent in its help and followup
Tutor
jlongii
Message 3 of 12 (2,306 Views)

I just noticed that there is another issue.  Again, at random times I get a message on my computer that tells me that the scan to computer is currently unavailable.  I go to the printer and for the time being it is operational (NO FLASHING LIGHTS) so I try to scan something to my computer and it works.  So the error message on my computer is wrong as the Scan to Computer function is available.

Don't know if there is any relationship between the problems as I can see no correlation between the two.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 12 (2,303 Views)

Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a printer failure

The error you're getting points to a potentially serious problem with the firmware. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
jlongii
Message 5 of 12 (2,286 Views)

I am now on my third printer sent from HP to try to fix this problem.  It appears that there is an issue with IPv6 which HP did not see as a possible problem.  HP thought that it was a power issue.

My wife found out about this problem on the 8500 printer by doing a search so we tried the solution on the 8600 model.  We turned off the ability of the printer to access IPv6 as follows:

First in your browser type in the IP address for the printer. That brings up the printer page. Go to Network, Network Protocols and choose enable IPv4 only. Voila….hopefully!!!!

So far this has stopped the printer from displaying the same error message over and over.

Student
MrHansen
Message 6 of 12 (1,763 Views)

I tried the suggested solution, but when I attempte to appy the change to IPv4 only, I got "Invalid input"

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 7 of 12 (1,703 Views)

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the printer and try again.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
Thisisunreal
Message 8 of 12 (1,508 Views)

Was printing perfectly, then a paper stuck, completely checked for any remnents, and found none. Tried to print, now it takes 5 minutes to print something out from PC, laptop or by directly placing it on the glass. This a wireless connection.  I have turned machine off, unplugged power cord. AT A LOSS, what to do?

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 9 of 12 (1,488 Views)

Hello Thisisunreal. I understand you are experiencing slow print jobs. The troubleshooting in this document can assist you with the slow printing issues: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01969539

After troubleshooting is complete, please inform me of your results. I will continue to assist you if necessary.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
ahmedmesbah
Message 10 of 12 (1,296 Views)

Disabling IPv6 did the trick for me too.

Strangely, logging into the embedded web server using Internet Explorer on my PC resulted in an "invalid input" message when attempting to change the setting. However, visiting the EWS  via Internet Explorer on my Nokia Windows Phone, allowed me to change all the settings I liked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation