Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an OfficeJet 6500 Printer - E 709a. I am getting the message, "Ink System Failure" -- I have turned off my computer and turned it back on to reset it; I have checked the ink cartridges to make sure they are full and placed correctly. I have checked th vent hole, and I have cleaned the Printer head.  Any suggestions? What is next? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

As I understand you get Ink system failure in OfficeJet 6500 Printer - E 709a.

Kindly click on the following link to resolve the issue.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458034

though I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumbs Up icon in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

I have tried all solution with out results. I have put new ink in and still get the same results, I have cleaned all that can be cleaned. It looks like this is a problen with these printers.I guess a trip to best buy may be in order

HP Recommended

Hello

I understand you are getting a ink system failure.

Since you have already tried the troubleshooting and you are using Genuine HP Cartridges then I would try soaking the printhead, which is suggested from Bob's post.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-pri...

Hope that helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Against my typical replace rather than repair, I cleaned the printhead, replaced the printhead, bought all new ink cartridges and had the replacement printhead replaced again yielding no change. HP Solution shows full and genuine ink cartridges but the printer will not stop flashing "ink system error" and to turn it off and on which I did numerous times plus the #3 and #9 and replug the power cord routine.  I have now invested enough money that I could have bought a new printer.  Hopefully I can find a new HP printer which takes 920 XL ink cartridges.  P.s. At home we have always 3 HP inkjet printers and 2 Brother Laser for the high volume black and white work.  Currently we have the HP 7520, the 6520 and this 6500 for my wife which has never given us a stellar performance!  And yes, do have 3 HP laptops and 1 Desktop.  I do not mind replacing the inkjet printers which usually fail due to paper pinch rollers (yes, I clean them with alchool but now I no longer bother to) but it's upsetting that the ink cartridges change overnight from model to model.  I know it's a Gillette marketing strategy, give away the razor charge heavy for the blades!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Step 6 (Manually cleaning the printhead) worked! Thanks!!! There was a bunch of sticky ink residue built up along the back/bottom of the carriage around the print heads. I just took a clean baby wipe to it and popped it back in.

When the printer started working again, I felt like I had been given superpowers. I hate replacing things that can be easily repaired, and that was relatively easy. Thanks again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.