Question

Top Student
tooplanx
Message 1 of 16 (2,792 Views)

OfficeJet 6500a plus printing pauses / slow over wifi.

When I try to print some print jobs on my printer, often it starts printing but then stops for 5 minutes, then prints a tiny bit more, then stops for 5-10 min. This carries on until the printing is finished, which usually never happens as I usually cancel the job after 30+ mins.

Then after I've cancelled the job, the printer keeps trying to print pages with nothing (or grabled letters) on. I keep cancelling printing and it starts trying again.

I think I've solved the endless printing, but the escruciating printing over wifi is a massive problem.

Any ideas what the hells going on? Some times it prints absolutely fine with no delays or pausing. Just seems to be some jobs (pdf's perhaps) that it has probs with.

Many thanks.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 16 (2,790 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500a plus printing pauses / slow over wifi.

tooplanx wrote:

I think I've solved the endless printing, but the escruciating printing over wifi is a massive problem.

Hi,

Do you use other things during a print job (such as downloading, viewing youtube .....). Please note: wireless routers do not have unlimitted bandwidth. Have you tried to print ONLY on your network ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
tooplanx
Message 3 of 16 (2,775 Views)

Hiya,

no, I wasn't using anything else online while trying to print. Isn't wifi capable of 54Mbps any way? My internet connection is only 1.5Mbps so even if I was using all my internet bandwidth then that wouldn't make much difference to the wifi transfer...?

What do you mean 'print only on my network'?

I'm at home printing through my wireless router. There's my laptop and my girlfriend's laptop accessing the internet through the same router. That's it...

Thanks for your help.

Top Student
tooplanx
Message 4 of 16 (2,734 Views)

Bump?

Anyone?

Should I take the printer back to the shop?

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 5 of 16 (2,723 Views)

Here is a link to some troubleshooting you can do that may help you find out what is going on:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02281533&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
tooplanx
Message 6 of 16 (2,720 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've already looked at that troubleshooting section and it's not really relevant.

I'm using the printer wirelessly, and the printing issues are inconsistent, usually occuring on PDFs or files with images in.

It's like it has problems processing more complicated or larger files. (They're not big files really - only 2-3mb generally).

I think I might have to try phoning HP.

Is there a freephone number for the UK?

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 7 of 16 (2,719 Views)

I am sorry that did not help. Here is the support page for UK Support contacts:

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
tooplanx
Message 8 of 16 (2,717 Views)

Thankyou :smileyhappy:
Top Student
Lenny133
Message 9 of 16 (1,559 Views)

I have the same problem. Did you find an answer?

Printing fine if connected to ethernet but wifi is hopeless.

Want to use wifi for printing from my daughters ipad.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 10 of 16 (1,545 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Lenny133.  I understand you're having some trouble printing from your iPad.

What is the model number of your 6500?  This document can help you locate it.  I will use this information to locate the latest firwmare for your printer.

Also, take a look at this document which covers printing over Apple Airprint.  It should help you set up printing from the iPad.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.  I hope you have a good afternoon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation