Question
OfficeJet 6500a plus printing pauses / slow over wifi.
Replies (15)

Top Student
Lenny133
Message 11 of 16 (1,019 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500a plus printing pauses / slow over wifi.

[ Edited ]

Printer Details are

Product Name HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z

Product Model Number CN557A

Product Serial Number {Personal Information Removed}

Firmware Version CIP1FN1126AR

I assume that after looking through various help files as I've got the printer connected to my router now, which then disables wifi, I cannot print from ipad using airprint.

Still cannot figure out why it is so slow, I mean over 10 minutes per page, on wifi. It was OK when I first had the printer. Tried everything I can think of. Reset Wifi, power cycled printer, reinstalled printer software and checked firewall for any blocking. No difference.

One thing to add when printing the scan to PC drops off on PC as well. Almost like printer shutting down or dropping connection, wifi signal good, or running out of memory?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 12 of 16 (1,009 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again Lenny133.  

I notice that you don't have the latest firmware installed.  So, that is a good place to begin.  This should be the latest firmware.

Also, you may be experiencing some other connection issues if the scan-to-pc is also not functioning.  I suggest setting the printer up to use a static IP address.  This should help keep it connected to the network.  The video below should help you perform this step.

Let me know the result and have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
Lenny133
Message 13 of 16 (1,005 Views)

Hi

Thanks for reply.

On checking download for firmware it appears mine is the latest firmware.

I have assigned static IP and will see how that goes.

Top Student
tooplanx
Message 14 of 16 (985 Views)

Hiya,

After a while I think I narrowed the problem down to the printer not having a strong connection to the wireless router due to distance and thick walls.

In the end I think I moved both the printer and my router so that they were next to each other and connected via an ethernet cable. My computers could then still print to it wirelessly, but the printer was connected physically to the router.

I've since moved house with thinnner walls and my router is in a more central location. My printer is set up completely wirelessly and I have no problems with it like this. Occassionally a file prints out garbled if the laptop is a distance from the wifi router, but only very occassionally.

If you can move the printer closer to the router or vice-versa, or even better connect your printer to the router with an ethernet cable, you problems might go away.

Do you have this problem with all PCs / tablets printing on this printer, or is it just the iPad? If it's just the iPad then it could be something completely different.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 15 of 16 (970 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello tooplanx.

I would just like to add a note to your post.  The distance and objects between the wireless devices are definitely two major causes of similar issues.  If the issue ever comes up again it is a good idea to set a Static IP address for the printer.  This helps the printer re-connect to the network using the same IP address in the event it falls off.  This helps keep the printer and computer from getting confused when trying to print.

The video I posted above has the instructions.  Here is the video again.

Have a wonderful day! :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Student
PhilGross
Message 16 of 16 (308 Views)

I've been having the same problem and have tried to establish a static IP address but keep getting an error message after i enter the static IP details.  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation