OfficeJet 8600 Pro won't print custom sized envelopes or paper (2206 Views)
Honor Student
NMJJ
Message 1 of 12 (2,206 Views)

OfficeJet 8600 Pro won't print custom sized envelopes or paper

Help!  Per the HP techs, my new OfficeJet 8600 Pro cannot be used to print envelopes or papers if their sizes are not of the "standard" sizes recognized by the printer.  There isn't an option in the printer choices for "custom".  Can anyone help me to print "custom" envelopes and cards with this printer?  This is a major issue for me regarding this printer--I want to be able to print what I choose!

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 12 (2,200 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8600 Pro won't print custom sized envelopes or paper

You may not be prepared for this much research; I have an idea for you to pursue if you are interested and can do the backwork involved.  It is not a proven method by any means.  It is just an idea.

I believe what you might do is edit - if you can find such - an existing *.ppd file on your system to provide the custom envelope sizes you need.

For example, for size information, I found this information for some envelopes:

*PageRegion EnvC5/Envelope C5: "<</PageSize[459 649]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*PageRegion EnvDL/Envelope DL: "<</PageSize[312 624]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*PageRegion EnvISOB5/Envelope B5: "<</PageSize[499 709]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"
*PageRegion EnvMonarch/Envelope Monarch: "<</PageSize[279 540]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice"

Reference:

OpenPrinting.org-ppd-file

====================================================================================

I found this information - this is for Linux.  I believe the principles apply to general .ppd file construction. 

What's the easiest way to add custom page sizes to a .ppd?

===================================================================================

On my system, I found the following .ppd file in Microsoft Office (2010):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSCOL11.PPD

I honestly do not know whether you can get this to work with your printer - I do not know whether the .ppd file is even called.  It has been years since I worked with this stuff and it was in a different OS.

Anyway, it is perhaps a dim light in the right direction should all other paths prove to be closed.

It would, of course, be much better to have a real solution.  Smiling. 

Perhaps there is a program one can download that will do that!

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
NMJJ
Message 3 of 12 (2,190 Views)

Thank you so much, DragonFur.  Sadly, I am technically "challenged" but I may call my geek to see what he thinks.  The problem is in the printer itself--it's pre-programmed for specific sizes of paper and envelopes and has no option for "custom" sizes.  You're right--maybe HP will come up with a solution/download.  I'll bet I'm not the only person who is really irked by this.  

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 12 (2,188 Views)

Hi NMJJ, if you are using Windows 7 you can try the following.

Go to Control Panel
Select Devices and Printers
Select the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 printer.
A set of actions will appear at the top of the Devices and Printers screen.
Select Print server properties
Select the Forms tab.
Select "Card envelope" from menu
Click on Create a new form.
Enter a Form name: "Card envelope ?x?"           (?=size)
Set the Paper size Width,Height & Printer area margins
Click OK to save the new form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 12 (2,182 Views)

How cool is that!

Custom sized print output for the asking.

Thanks, 8lives!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
NMJJ
Message 6 of 12 (2,177 Views)

Thanks so much, 8lives!  I followed your instructions exactly.  No luck, however.  When I tried printing (both in Hallmark Cardshop and Word 2010) I still got an error message from the printer that the printer didn't recognize the paper size.  I pulled up the printer's paper/envelope list again and the custom size that I'd entered wasn't listed.  I tried again with the same results.  I am most appreciative of your help, believe me! 

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 12 (2,172 Views)

Well, RATS.  It looks so promising.

The .ppd information is actually in the Word folder hierarchy... but no matter; it does take editing to get this done.  Leave it.

Here's something else, though, that may actually be relevant. 

Just guessing at this point...

• If you open a Word document (.docx) and click to Options > Advanced
  • Scroll down to Print
  • Right now I have my Option set to "Scale content for A4 or 8.5 X 11" paper sizes"
  • And the Default tray set to "Use Printer Settings"

I wonder if changing one / both of these Options might help.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 8 of 12 (2,165 Views)

NMJJ, here is the result that I get on my Win7 32-bit test computer.

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Honor Student
NMJJ
Message 9 of 12 (2,153 Views)

I'm getting the same thing when I've followed your instructions.  However, the printer still doesn't recognize that  custom envelope and continues to give me an error message pertaining to the printer not recognizing the paper size.  I have had success printing the 6x9 envelope by choosing a paper size of 6x8;  the printing in Hallmark Cardshop isn't correctly placed on the envelope but at least it prints.  In Word, I can configure the location of the mailing and return addresses, but it's a lot of work to do every time.  Thank you so much for your help, 8lives--I am most appreciative of your efforts!  Let me know if you have any other ideas--NMJJ

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 10 of 12 (2,149 Views)

If you have access to a Mac computer then you can set-up a custom form.

I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation