Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

I'm experiencing aproblem with my OffficeJet Pro 8600 Printer. After replacing the ink cartridge a month or two ago, the printer began to have this Error:

Printer Failure

There is a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn printer off, then on.  If problem persists, contact HP

I've tried to reset the printer (turn on and off/unplug and wait) but it does not seem to help in any way. I've taken out and reinserted the ink cartridges again and again, but that isn't helping as well. Lastly, I've tried to take out the printhead/ reseat it three times aready, but the problem persists.

It would be a great inconvience if I would need to purchase a new printer. This one is [mostlikely] out of warrenty.

Is there a way for it to be repared? Get a replacement? r is there a fix to this problem?

Im not sure if the printerheda is bad, though. It was working until a week or two ago.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the printer failure error message. 

Here is a link that may assist you with this problem. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03439615

When you take the print head out, try to clean the bottom with lint free cloth and water. 

Be sure to have it plugged directly into a wall outlet instead of a surge protector. 

Let me know if any of this works. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I was getting the same error message on my HP 8600 Officejet Pro Model N911a. I downloaded the software to trouble shoot and tried to fix it, did everything twice and no luck. Called tech support and paid the $25 and went thru it with support and they couldn't help. Replaced cartridges, cleaned printhead and still nothing. Bought a new printer. After a week I turned the HP 8600 on and this time I got an empty cartridge message (Y) and I went and bought a new cartridge and it worked.

I could do nothing previously since all I got was the printer error or ink message.

Maybe the ink cartridge was just at the point where it didn't register "out" but was. The printhead was fairly dirty so that may have helped. This printer was a replacement for the first one I purchased but had a ADF error.

Very frustrating for sure. 

HP Recommended

dwg44,

I was having the same error message.  After reading your post,  I checked my ink cartridges and one seemed empty plus that one was a refurbished cartridge.  I bought a new HP cartridge today and my printer is working fine now!!  Thank you so much!!  You have saved me who knows how much money trying to figure it out,  plus the time and aggravation!   And the cost of buying a new printer!  Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

Does anyone have an update how to fix this kind of error?

I tried what has been suggested here and it is not working for me.

Also, it looks like HP has discontinued making this printer. Does anyone know why?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I tried following the step by step guide.  The step to start the automatic cleaning is not possible as the right arrow does not engage a change to the screen content.  We continue to get the same errors.

We changed cartridges

We pulled out print head

We resat 3X

HP Recommended

I too received this error message and, after reading everyone else's posts, replaced just the black ink cartridge (HP genuine replacement) and recycled the power (just the on/off button, not the plug, as HP's troubleshooting guide indicated).  Tested the printer and it worked fine - what a relief.

HP Recommended

Found something that worked for me.. tried all the recommended steps but nothing worked until I noticed that one of my cartridges (Cyan) felt nearly empty. Replaced the cartridge and it worked! The printer was doing an automatic cleaning immediately before this error happened, and perhaps because one of the cartridges was empty this triggered the error. But who knows... anyway this worked for me! Some have said that replacing the cartridges didn't work for them.

One thing I did (not sure why this would have helped tho) is I took the cartridge out before I turned off the printer, by mistake (took out the cyan cartridge, then pressed the off button instead of unplugging it.) So I watched my print head minus my cyan cartridge safely nestle itself on the right hand corner of the printer before it shut off, which if I'm not mistaken is a no-no (having a partially empty print head). Of course when I turned on the printer it gave me a stern warning not to have cartridges missing. Maybe this helped reset it?? (Probably not, but I would rather try anything than buy a new printer... )  and then when I put in the new cartridge (which was not genuine HP 😉 it worked. Ta da!

HP Recommended

I already knew that I needed to change the cartridge, I was waiting for it to go on empty.  It must have went on empty.  I had the same error.  Came to this page and figured out it was the yellow that was empty and changed it.  I am happy the problem wasn't bigger than what it was.  Good Luck everybody!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem occur. After reading the comments I removed the four ink cartridges and noticed the Magenta was empty. I placed back the other three cartridges and turn off the printer with the Magenta slot still empty. Once I turned the printer back on the error message changed from "printer failure" to saying that the Magenta ink cartridge was missing. 

I then replaced it with a new Genuine HP ink cartridge and now my printer is working fine again.

Hopefully this solution works for other folks as well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.