Question

Honor Student
ShlomoS
Message 1 of 8 (273 Views)

Officejet 4500 doesn't print at all... only from HP software

Hi all!

I would appreciate any help with this very annoying problem I have with my HP printer.

The model is HP Officejet 4500 G510a-f, OS is Windows XP SP3. The printer is connected to the computer via USB.

The printer is installed and set as "online" and as the default printer, but when I try to print anything, nothing happens. Well, there's a print command created in the Printer Queue (status: "Spooling - Printing"), but it disappears almost immediately. The printer doesn't make a sound or shows any error messages. It simply stays quiet...

The weirdest thing is that I can print the Cartridges Alignment test page from the printer's own interface, and I can even print the test page from HP's software, but when I try to print a test page from the Windows Printer Preferences dialog - nothing.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 2 of 8 (257 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 doesn't print at all... only from HP software

Hi ShlomoS,

I understand your printer is not printing.  I would try the Hp Print & Scan Doctor it fixes many common printer problems.  Let me know how it goes.

Hp Print & Scan Doctor

Let me know how it goes.

Honor Student
ShlomoS
Message 3 of 8 (243 Views)

Thanks for the reply! I did try it before, and it supposedly found a problem and fixed it (althuogh it didn't specify which problem), but the issue still remains. I still can't print from any application... Any other thoughts?

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 4 of 8 (214 Views)

Hi Shlomo,

I would try restarting the print spooler.  To do this click on Start then select Run type in the box services.msc and then search in the list for Print Spooler right click on it and select restart.  Try to print again.  If this doesn't resolve your issue.  Then I would complete and uninstall and reinstall of the printer.  I am linking you to the drivers for your printer.  

Officejet 4500

Honor Student
tosii2
Message 5 of 8 (171 Views)

I have exactly the same problem.  I have gone through the print and scan Dr. It can print the diags, but windows can't.  the print job shows up on the cueue and then goes away and nothing happens with the printer.  I have done the uninstall and reinstall. I tried changing from spooling to printing directly and that crashes windows explorer and I have to reboot the computer. 

I am running windows XP SP3 also and have today gone through all of the windows update stuff to make sure everything is up to date.

Any useful thoughts would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 6 of 8 (155 Views)

Hi tosii2

I understand you are unable to print from the computer.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Printers & Faxes
Right-click your printer, select Properties, then select the Ports tab.

What  port is checked?

Here is a url to access the device manager.
This is a url how to get to the device manager and check for conflicts.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm
Then click the link below Identifying problems in the Windows Device Manager.

Let me know the results.

How is the printer connected? (usb/ethernet/wireless)

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
tosii2
Message 7 of 8 (154 Views)

Hi Gemini,

To answer your questions, it is a USB hook-up and device manager doesn't show any conflicts and 'this device is working'.  None of those dreaded yellow exclamation points.   I have been all through that level of stuff and was into the registry for the spooler (at your support people's request).  The 4500 doesn't have a wired ethernet connection.  I did try the wireless connection and that didn't work either.

I spent over 4 hrs with support friday night and didn't get much of anywhere with them other than to determine that 'something must be wrong with the spooler' and the suggested I totally rebuild my system. NOT going to happen! I finally found some tools to rebuild the spooler and I deleted (as part of that spooler clean-up) all of the other printers on the system. I was able to get a 'generic' (HP0920 printer, I think) driver to work. So we can print now, just can't use the printer features using the software for the printer.

The correct drivers for the printer install fine and the tools in it check out the printer just fine (including all the diag stuff), but when I try to print through windows using this driver, etc, the print job goes to the spooler then after a pause disappears as though it was sent to the printer. (I should add that there is one check (a print test page)  in the printer diags that does go through windows and that fails also).

If you are interested in going through the whole chat session I had with support, I could give you the number of it (I don't have it now since I am not at that machine).

If you have any new ideas, I would welcome hearing them!

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 8 of 8 (145 Views)

Hi tosii2

Depending on the chat id they gave you I might be able to look it up.

I would disable all the start up programs to make sure something in the background isn't causing any issues with the install and printing.
Go to start, run, type in msconfig, click on the start up tab across the top, select disable all, apply, ok and restart the computer.

Try and print.

If it fails to print I would uninstall and reinstall the software, make sure the usb cable is disconnected and don't plug the cable in during the install until prompted. Leave the start up programs disabled.

Try and print.

You will have to go back in and enable the start up programs when finished testing the printer.

Is the printer plugged in directly to the computer? (hub)

How long is the usb cable?

Is your computer a notebook or desktop?

Have you tried another usb cable and another port on the computer?

Please let me know all the results so I can further assist you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation