Question

Top Student
pokemahon
Message 1 of 12 (400 Views)

Officejet 6500 All-in-One prints black text very lightly

My OJ6500 developed a printing problem (issue if you are under 30 yrs old.)  I ruined the print head by improper cleaning and replaced it with a new one.  The printer printed correctlyi for a time but how prints black text so lightly that it is almost impossible to read with less than advanced forensic methodologies. It prints colors OK and does OK with black graphic images but the black text is sooooooooooooo very light.

Ideas?  The first respondent with a successful suggestion will qualify to have their name entered into a drawing where they may win a swell prize!

Patrick

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 2 of 12 (376 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 All-in-One prints black text very lightly

Hello pokemahon,

I see you are having some print quality issues on your HP Officejet 6500, the black text is very light and you have already replaced the printhead. I would like you to let me know the Exact model of 6500 you have so I can better assist you.

Please start with the troubleshooting steps listed here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.

Let me know the results, we may need to do more of an extensive cleaning to the printhead.  I will watch for your reply so we can continue.

Thanks,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
pokemahon
Message 3 of 12 (371 Views)

HP 6500 E709n

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 4 of 12 (349 Views)

Thank you for the information pokemahon! Ok I would like you to take a look at fellow Community member Bob_Headricks' recommendation for a printhead soak, your 6500 E709n has a removeable printhead so you are able to try this method to try and resolve the print quality issue you are experiencing. Follow the steps listed in the link below:

Printhead Soak for Removeable Printheads

Please let me know the outcome!

Thanks again,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
pokemahon
Message 5 of 12 (345 Views)

I may have mentioned that  I had replaced the print head with a new one.  I tried different ink cartridge as well.  The reason I replaced the print head is that I was experiencing light black print and cleaned the print head too zealously and incorrectly ruining it. Hence the new print head.  I don't think cleaning it has a high probability of fixing the problem.

Ideas or comments?

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 6 of 12 (342 Views)

[ Edited ]

pokemahon,

Did you do all the troubleshooting steps in my initial recommendation for the print quality? If yes, what were the results?

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
pokemahon
Message 7 of 12 (335 Views)

Yes, no help.

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 8 of 12 (329 Views)

Ok pokemahon, I appreciate your continued efforts. I would like you to go through one last troubleshooting document: 'Printhead Problem' or 'Printhead Appears to be Missing or Damaged' Message Displays on the Control .... I know you are not getting an error message, however since you replaced the printhead I would like you to make sure to clean the electrical contacts as well as the other cleaning recommendations to see if this helps.

If there was no cleaning done prior to replacing it with the new printhead, it could have still had some ink dried up or clogged which would cause the poor print quality you are experiencing.

If you complete all steps with no success, you need to call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thanks again,

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
pokemahon
Message 9 of 12 (318 Views)

Theyi say the first sign of developing insanity is to do the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Chaos aside, I tried an experiment.  

First let me resstate the observaton that triggered all this trouble shooting. The printer prints black text extremely lightly.  All sorts of cleaniing and a new print head make no difference.  What if the trouble is not the print head/cartridge ability to print black? 

I prepared a page of text with normal characters and bold characters. I then highlighted the text and went to the word processor's format menu.  I changed the text to dark blue and printed the page.  NO text printed!

I changed the text to dark red and printed the page.  Nothing printed, out came a clean sheet of paper.

At the conclusion of each "cleaning cycle" the printer outputs a sheet of paler with 6 bold colored rectanhgles, I'm calling orange, green, blue, yellow, magenta, and cyan.  The printer is capable of squirting ink on the paper, just not when it is formatted as text.

I printed ouit a photograph and it had plenty of color but wasn't "right."

I opened a Paint progtram and drew random squiggles in black, then red and then blue.  The page printed out and the blue and red were normal but the black was light.

In a word processor I made 4 paragraphs. ONe blue, one green, one yellow, and one black.  I printed the page and NOTHING printed out.  I got a clean sheet of paper for ouitput.

I now suspect sopmething besides the cartridges and print head.  The print head or black cartridge may not be optimal but the effects I just described PROVE that there is something else at fault here.

I'm open for suggestions.

Patrick

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 10 of 12 (275 Views)

pokemahon,

As mentioned in my earlier recommendation if you completed all my troubleshooting steps with no success I would call technical support and see what warranty you have on the new printhead. You can reach them at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thanks,

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation