Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My 8600 died, and I got an 8610 to replace it.  I have it connected wirelessly to my laptop, and by USB to my desk top. Either way, when I print a document, it prints very slowly in fits and starts, as other people have also experineced.  I have yet to see an actual solution to this problem on the forums.  I have Windows 8 on both machines.  And yes, I've followed all the other steps in the forum:  making a copy, plugging into the wall, uninstall and reinstall.  Please give me some ideas, or I'm returning this paperweight.  It's faster to print it from my fax machine.  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Gruenke

I understand the printer is printing slow using a USB connection on one computer and wireless connection on another computer. You have already tried a lot of steps to try and resolve this issue. I can help you today.

Try printing a hardware self test to see if you have the same results.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

Temporarily turn off the Antivirus software to make sure it isn't interfering.

Disable all the startup items. Click Here.

Try printing again.

If no change, turn the Antivirus software back on and enable the startup items again.

Make sure the ink levels aren't low, that might cause this issue.

What are the ink levels?

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?

For the networking, please try these steps:

I would power cycle everything.
Turn the printer and computer off.
Disconnect the power cable on the router for 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable again.

Turn the computer on, then the printer.

I would setup a Static IP for the printer to see if this will resolve the issue.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address.

Try printing again.

For the USB connection, try these steps:

First I would try another port on the Laptop to see if you have the same results. On Laptops, some of the USB ports are more powered then others.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and the USB cable is connected directly to the computer.

The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet.

Is the cable a 2.0 or 3.0 cable?

Check the power management on the computer to see if that is causing the issue.

Go into the device manager, under universal serial bus controllers, for each USB root hub, right click and left click on properties, for power management remove the check mark for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It allows the computer to limit or turn off power for this device.

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

If the issue persists, try another USB cable. Just to rule that out.

If you are still having issues, set the driver to print directly to the printer.

Go to the start up screen, (tiles menu) type in "Devices and Printers", select settings, click on Devices and Printers.

Right click the printer, go to printer properties, click on the advanced tab, select print directly to the printer, apply and OK.

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I tried everything you said, except it wouldn't let me change it from spooled to direct.  Yes, it's HP ink, the starter cartridges it come with.  Not buying another USB cable, that one worked JUST FINE two days ago.  Going to return this piece of junk. 

HP Recommended

hi there, 

did you find a solution? i have the same problem with PDF'S or pictures. takes too long to print a single page 😕

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem, printer is a week old.  Just got it out of the box about a week ago, worked great for a week but now it takes about 10-15 minutes to print a test page or  print anything for that matter.  It's not a computer issue because the printer is installed on 4 different computers and they're all doing the same thing.   Is this 8610 just a piece of junk or is there anything we can do to fix it?

HP Recommended

Hi @flxadmin,

I read your post and see that the printer is printing very slow. I would like to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

I would suggest to update the firmware on the printer and setup a Static IP if you haven't yet. Software and Drivers.

Go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address.

HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One Printer Series - Printer Does Not Mai...

Which test page were you referring to? (Windows test page or hardware self test from the printer)

What operating system are you using?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.