Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My officejet pro 6830 takes over 1.5 minutes to print the first page upon initiating a print job. During this time I hear the printhead adjusting. This seems like a very long time. Is this normal? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Scott10,

I would be happy to help you with your 6830. I understand it is slow to begin printing and the printhead seems to be adjusting itself before printing begins. Ler's start by printing a self test page and timing how long it takes to print:

1. From the printer control panel, touch Setup.

2. Touch Reports and then touch Printer Status Report.

Step two: Determine whether the issue is in the hardware or the software

If the print speed is...
Additional troubleshooting steps
Windows
Mac
Less than 90 seconds
More than 90 seconds

- Source

Another possible cause for the printer to adjusting itself prior to printing is the power source. Do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause.   Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector

^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If the printer is not getting enough power it may not remember, so to speak, that it previously adjusted or maintained itself. Connecting to a wall outlet ensures the printer is getting enough power. It's like if I am tired, I don't function as well as I when I am fully rested! The printer getting enough power would be like me getting enough sleep.

Image result for smiley face

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Scott10,

I would be happy to help you with your 6830. I understand it is slow to begin printing and the printhead seems to be adjusting itself before printing begins. Ler's start by printing a self test page and timing how long it takes to print:

1. From the printer control panel, touch Setup.

2. Touch Reports and then touch Printer Status Report.

Step two: Determine whether the issue is in the hardware or the software

If the print speed is...
Additional troubleshooting steps
Windows
Mac
Less than 90 seconds
More than 90 seconds

- Source

Another possible cause for the printer to adjusting itself prior to printing is the power source. Do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause.   Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector

^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If the printer is not getting enough power it may not remember, so to speak, that it previously adjusted or maintained itself. Connecting to a wall outlet ensures the printer is getting enough power. It's like if I am tired, I don't function as well as I when I am fully rested! The printer getting enough power would be like me getting enough sleep.

Image result for smiley face

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Connecting directly to the wall outlet solved the issue. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I had similar problem except had to wait several minutes.  I connected to a secondary power block. Now connected directly to a power block extension and appears to work.  

Seems a strange requirement when the printer has a direct 220/240 power supply build in to the printer.

TRY it if you have the same problem !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.