Question

Top Student
hberry1980
Message 1 of 26 (2,548 Views)

Officejet Pro K8600 - Will Only Print One Page

I have an HP Officejet Pro K8600 with fewer than 10,000 pages printed.  I have had it for several years with no issues but the occasional jam.

In the last few weeks, however, the printer has begun to print only one page.  Even if the current print job is multiples pages, after printing the first page, it will clear the job from the que.  If I send another job it simply sits in the que eternally with no error message showing.  Sometimes the power button light flashes, sometimes it doesn't.

To print another page, I have to power the printer down, power it back up, and resend the print job.  I have taken all the standard troubleshooting measures - check paper, check rollers, reinstalled drivers, realign printeheads, etc. and have Googled the problem without much luck.

I am at a loss as to what else I can do to make it work.  Any ideas?  Your help is much appreciated!

Heather

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 26 (2,529 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro K8600 - Will Only Print One Page

Hi hberry1980,

I am linking a troubleshooting tool for you to try.  Click Here  I recommend that you clear your print queue and download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and select Fix Printing when that option comes up. 

If that doesn't help, what is the operating system for your computer including 32 or 64 bit?  Is the printer connected to the computer with a usb cable?  If so, how long is the cable?

Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
hberry1980
Message 3 of 26 (2,524 Views)

Thanks for the idea! I've actually already tried that with no luck.

My computer and my laptop both have windows 7 64 bit. I have tried printing from both of them via a USB cable connection to the printer. The USB cable is 6 feet long. No matter the program or the computer I use, the 1 page problem persists....
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 26 (2,520 Views)

Did everything pass (all green check marks) when you ran the Print Dr.?

What are your ink levels for each cartridge (according to the printer)?

Can you make multiple page photocopies? 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
hberry1980
Message 5 of 26 (2,515 Views)

Yes. All green check marks. One of my cartridges is a little low, but it's not completely out yet.

No. I cannot make multiple copies of the same page. It will only print 1 page whether it is a multi page document or if I want multiple copies of the same page.
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 26 (2,511 Views)

A low ink cartridge could be causing this problem.  The ink gauge is an estimate and is not exact.  I recommend replacing the low cartridge and giving it another try.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
hberry1980
Message 7 of 26 (2,508 Views)

I changed out the magenta cartidge.  Still no joy.

Frustration abounds!  Thanks for your continued ideas/help.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 26 (2,502 Views)

No problem.  I know it can be frustrating when printers don't behave. 

I suggest that you do a hard reset on the printer.  To do this, unplug all cables including the power cord from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.  Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.  If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.  After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector or battery backup)  and then plug it into the back of the printer.   Once the printer boots up, try and make a 2 page photocopy before connecting any other cables to the printer.  What happened?

If the second page didn't print, try cleaning the printheads.  To do this:

1. Make sure the printer is loaded with unused whited paper.
  2. Press and hold the Power button.
  3. Press the Cancel button (X) two times.
  4. Press the Resume button one time.
  5. Release the Power button.

Cleaning the printheads takes a few minutes, and when it completes, a page prints.  Do you see all colors clearly?  If not, I suggest you clean the printheads up to 2 more times. 

What are the results?

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
hberry1980
Message 9 of 26 (2,494 Views)

Ok.  I unplugged the power and USB cords from the printer while it was still on.  Unplugged the power cord from the surge protector and also seperated the power cord from the transformer.  Waited a few minutes, then plugged the power cords back together, into a wall outlet, and into the back of the printer.  The printer came back on.  Since the usb was not connected, I  just went ahead and cleaned the printheads twice.  The page printed properly after the end of each cleaning.  I then reconnected the USB.  I tried to print a two page document from Word, and, alas, only the first page printed.

Other thoughts?  Ready to throw in the towel yet 'cause I am getting there! :-)  Thanks for your persitence.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 10 of 26 (2,483 Views)

This does seem like a strange one.  Have you tried using a different usb cable?  Those cables can cause intermittent printing problems.  I recommend trying a different cable and different usb port.  Is there any change?

If that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling the software and re-installing the software with a download from hp.com. 

Let me know what happens.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation