Question

Honor Student
kdevico
Message 1 of 30 (18,991 Views)

Officejet pro 8600 Premium pick motor stalled error message

I have the Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer. I'm getting the message "pick motor stalled" after two and a half months of stellar use with this printer. There is no paper/print jam. I'm using the same paper I have always used. Help, is this a problem with this model?

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 30 (18,984 Views)

Re: Officejet pro 8600 Premium pick motor stalled error message

HI,

No ist not a problem with this unit, it seems to me to be a simple defect, so I suggest you call your local HP support, you should be still in warrenty after only 2.5 months

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Student
cpulla
Message 3 of 30 (18,950 Views)

i too just got this error message- computer not more than 6 months old

TbD Student
Student
TbD
Message 4 of 30 (18,600 Views)

I have had my printer for 10 months.  No problems, and now I am constantly getting the "Pick Motor Stalled" message. 

Sounds like a common problem with the 8600 Premium

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 5 of 30 (18,595 Views)

Officejet pro 8600 Premium pick motor stalled error message

Picardje was correct. Contacting HP Support can get you a replacement printer. Before calling, here is a link below they may help you all.

http://goo.gl/KHCVL

Let me know if this helps, thanks.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Top Student
jemrunner
Message 6 of 30 (17,912 Views)

Also having this issue with an Officejet Pro 8600 Premium too. Bought it in May 2012 to replace an Officejet 7410. Running on a wireless network to a Win 7 32 bit laptop. Started getting the popular Pick Motor Stalled error after two months of ownership of the 8600. Have been able to get the printer to reset this error in the past with combinations of powering down, running diagnostics, and having the printer execute either a print head clean routine or a print printer status routine - that is up until this weekend.

Trying to print tax returns so I can get them in the mail by the 4/15 deadline tomorrow and, of course, the Pick Motor Stalled error shows up again. Spent several hours trying usual tricks, this time nothing works. Finally, as a desperate last resort, I powered down the printer and completely removed the second printer tray assembly from the bottom of the printer.

Powered back up running only the single main tray and that did the trick. Printing restored.

For those that might conclude there was a paper jam on the machine and removing the second paper tray assembly fixed it, trust me. I have been in and out of that machine. There was no paper jam. There is some glitch in either the electronics or firmware, or both on these printers that is causing all the Pick Motor Stalled errors that the user community for this HP device has been dealing with.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 7 of 30 (17,899 Views)

@jemrunner, I'm glad you resolve the issue. Thanks for letting the community know what resolve the issue. 

Also, remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Top Student
Hatterasman
Message 8 of 30 (17,791 Views)

Thanks for the tip!  I shut the printer down, removed the bottom unit with the extended tray, and rebooted.  It started right up.  Only wasted about 4 hours before checking forum... arghh!

Honor Student
motocicletta
Message 9 of 30 (17,449 Views)

Hi,

I don't have a second print tray, only the one. I checked for paper jams, etc. This just started happening today since getting the machine. Any suggetions?

Top Student
Hatterasman
Message 10 of 30 (17,442 Views)

Check owner's manual for procedure to clean letter tray pick wheel; it is accessed from back and bottom of printer.  It is not commonly associated problem with a new machine though.  Also check to insure that you have selected tray one as your default paper source. 

Unfortunately, this has become an all too common problem for folks with this printer.  In my case, replacing the second print tray solved the problem, but I had to manually select which tray I wanted the printer to access.  Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation