Question

Honor Student
royalolddude
Message 1 of 97 (18,309 Views)

Officejet pro 8600 plus won't print card stock

It's a known issue that the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus won't print card stock (67 or 110 weight). When attempting to use any paper other than standard copy paper (20-24 lb.) the unit displays an "Out of Paper" error message. Neither Best Buy nor Office Depot could get their display units to print card stock either. Has this been addressed by HP, and/or does anyone know an answer or solution to this issue?

Honor Student
sharonlusk
Message 2 of 97 (18,185 Views)

Re: Officejet pro 8600 plus won't print card stock

I have the same issue and it absolutely makes me crazy because I NEED for it to print card stock.  If anyone has a work-around solution, I'll be so happy to know what it is.

Honor Student
jwinch2
Message 3 of 97 (18,131 Views)

I am having the exact same problem.  I have tried going in and altering the paper size in the settings to "thick" and several other suppsed fixes with no result.  Continually, I get "out of paper" when I attempt to print with anything other than normal copier paper.  What junk.  This is the very last time our company will purchase an HP printer of any kind.  My $50 Canon desktop printer at home prints cardstock, photopaper, etc. with no problem and no adjustments needed.  Seriously HP, you have to be able to do better than this.   

Honor Student
lykster
Message 4 of 97 (18,114 Views)

This worked for me.  Place the card on top of the back rail extending back 3/4" with a slight downward curl.  Print one at a time.

Intern
kathikens
Message 5 of 97 (17,952 Views)

Easy fix:  Always use Tray 1  AND  choose Thick Plain Paper instead of cardstock.  This should work. 

Intern
kathikens
Message 6 of 97 (17,951 Views)

Instead of Cardstock, choose "Thick Plain Paper". It works!!
Intern
kathikens
Message 7 of 97 (17,951 Views)

Always use Tray 1 and choose "Thick Plain Paper" instead of "Cardstock". It works!
Honor Student
kob49
Message 8 of 97 (17,567 Views)

no luck

Intern
kathikens
Message 9 of 97 (17,564 Views)

Well, that has to be a bummer!  Mine has worked like a charm, whereas before I constantly got the message of "out of paper" no matter what I tried.  I tend to think it's a software programming issue and maybe it worked on mine 'cause it was an older machine.  I do know, when talking to HP, that they were just putting a taskforce to study this issue and resolve it once and for all.  So I'd call them and see if they have any solutions.  Make sure you ask to talk to someone on that task force or you'll be spinning your wheets with someone who doesn't know (unless of course, they did solve it and they passed the info to all respondents).  I called the following number:

1-800-334-5144

Good Luck!   (If you get the right solution, post it, OK?)

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 97 (17,381 Views)

The advanced printing features may be turned off on the driver, or it may think tray 2 is installed when no second try comes with the plus model.

First thing to check is the Advanced Features setting.  The directions I'm giving are for Windows 7, but should be similar for other Windows OS's.

1. Click on the Start menu.
  2. Click on Devices and Printers.
  3. Right click on your printer.
  4. Select Printer Properties.
  5. Click on the Advanced tab.
  6. Make sure the check box next to Enable Advanced Features is checked.
  7. Click Apply (if you made a change).
  8. Click OK.

To make sure tray 2 is turned off if you don't have one:

1. Click on the Start menu.
  2. Click on Devices and Printers.
  3. Right-click on your printer.
  4. Select Printer Properties.
  5. Click on the Device Settings tab.
  6. Make sure next to Tray 2 the drop down says "Not Installed".
  7. Click Apply (if you made a change).
  8. Click OK.

Let me know if that helps or not.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation