P1102w drivers won't install on Windows 8 (2821 Views)
Honor Student
anogr
Message 1 of 9 (2,821 Views)

P1102w drivers won't install on Windows 8

I bought a new computer with Windows 8 64 bit. I downloaded the drivers for HP LaserJet P1102w 64-bit for Windows 8. During the installation, I'm asked to turn on the printer and connect it through USB, which I do. The installation program finds the printer and starts installing. But the progress bar never finishes. When it reaches the right end, it just starts over again. After a few minutes, I have to cancel the installation.

I have a screenshot below (unfortunately in Swedish - the text immediately above the progress bar says "New device is connected")

After cancelling the installation, I can actually print without a problem until I restart the computer. After that, the printer cannot be found by Windows any more.

The printer worked fine with my old computer (Windows 7). I have tried reinstalling the drivers several times and restarted the computer between. I have tried several USB ports, both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sceenshot from driver installation

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (2,818 Views)

Re: P1102w drivers won't install on Windows 8

The Microsoft Windows 8 compatibility website votes lean mostly towards saying that it is compatible. There is an available WHQ driver available at this Microsoft web document.

P1102w.png

I would try the driver suggested by Microsoft. You can post your results here and at at the compatibility website to help advise the community of owners of your printer.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
anogr
Message 3 of 9 (2,806 Views)

Thank you, but the download link goes to the HP site where I downloaded the driver in the first place.

But I tried another approach. I opened the control panel and chose "Add printer or device" (translated  from Swedish). It didn't find my printer. But then I tried "Advanced printer configuration" and chose to add a printer there. It still didn't find my printer but I got the option to choose a local printer and fill in the connection port manually.

The interesting thing here is that the only port with USB in its name says "virtual printer port for USB". Does that mean anything to you? After choosing that port I can actually print - until I restart my computer.

Adding printer port for local printer

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (2,782 Views)

Try using the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode.

Hold down the ‘Windows key and tap the W key on the keyboard.

Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.

Select and click on “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” (Windows vista) option from the list of options that appears.

Select the Windows driver softpaq and then install it.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
anogr
Message 5 of 9 (2,775 Views)

Thank you, but softpaq isn't listed. I googled it and I can see that it is a HP program. The reason it isn't listed might be that the original installation fails as I described in my first post.

There must be a way to install a simple printer? How can an installation software fail without leaving any kind of error message? In 2013?

Isn't there any HP guys around here to help their customers? I made a clean Windows 8 install, so I can't be the only one having this kind of trouble.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 9 (2,766 Views)

Have you downloaded the Windows 8 full feature software driver?

How about the Windows 7 Full feature software driver. That is the one you need to download and use the run in compatibility method on.

Honor Student
anogr
Message 7 of 9 (2,752 Views)

Thank you, I have tried both full feature drivers (they appear to link to the same driver though), both i normal and in compatibility mode. Same error as described in my first post.

Student
Mila1234
Message 8 of 9 (2,223 Views)

I have the same issue. It worked perfect with W7. Then I bought the new laptop with W8-64.The system doesn't recognize the driver, but it prints. In the device Mgr there is a yellow mark with the printer. The printer says NO DRIVER installed. Download driver from the printer manufacturer.

Will be there an update from HP for the driver? Otherwise I'm forced to buy a Printer from competition.

Heinz

Teacher
vthapa
Message 9 of 9 (2,211 Views)

When you are able to print try to update the Firmware of the Printer it talks about 'Add support for Windows 8'.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-115794-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation