Question

Top Student
TheLanchi
Message 1 of 8 (460 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pages come out blank HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer -

I have a  HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer (product # CN555A), and I've been having issues printing for a while.   I'm working on Windows 8, though same problem occurs with a Windows 7 laptop that I use sometimes.
Printer goes through all printing motion and pages come out blank or sometimes very faded (unreadable). At the beginning, every once in a while it would happen and once the printer rested for a few days, it would work again. Now it happens all the time and I can't print.  I've done ALL the steps from the hp troubleshooting and nothing works.   A few days ago, I managed to have it print a bit darker, though it mainly printed in greenish-gray, but after the second page, it just faded again to nothing.  I'm thinking it can be something on the canals from the ink cartridges to the page or something like that.  Can anyone help me figure this out and fix my printer?

Thanks
:smileysurprised:)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 8 (436 Views)

Re: Pages come out blank HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One Printer -

If you are experiencing faded ink or blank pages and have gone through all the troubleshooting steps as well as ensured you are using genuine HP ink that is not low or empty, then you may be having a problem with the printhead.

Try printing a printer status report from the front panel of the printer.  If that is also blank, Try Bob_Headrick's printhead soak method.  If it is not blank, let me know your ink levels and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
TheLanchi
Message 3 of 8 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi VisionAiry, thank you for your reply.
I did the print test from the front of the printer, and it printed a few letters in black, then the black faded.

The yellow seemed to come out without a problem.  the cyan started too show but faded rapidly.  No magenta is seen whatsoever.

I am using genuine hp cartridges, and I just checked the estimated ink levels.  It doesn't show percentages, but it looks like the yellow is about 90% full (I changed it right before the problem started), and Cyan, Magenta and Black are all about 25% or so.  Should I try soaking the printhead?
Thanks

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 8 (422 Views)

Considering that yellow is almost full and is printing just fine, there is actually the small chance that the low ink you see (approx. 25%) has dried up in the ink cartridge itself.  Think of the ink like an old condiment that has been in your refridgerator for a long time.  When there is more stuff in the container, it is less likely to dry up, but when you only have a little in it, the air-to-ink ratio increases the chances of that actually being what has caused this.  

Although cheaper to do the printhead soak, it is also a lot riskier than buying new ink first.  I strongly recommend making sure you have replaced the low ink cartridges before trying the very last step possible.  

Granted, it is likely due to printhead cleanings, test prints, and other basic troubleshooting steps that caused you to be low on ink in the first place.  Perhaps double-checking on the return policy of the store regarding the ink you purchase may not be a bad idea either in case you do purchase it, doesn't print, you do the printhead soak, and then that fails as well.  

Better to be prepared for the worse but expect that the easiest solution is the best one (Occam's razor) is what I mean by all of this.  Keep me posted on what you decide to do.  *fingers crossed*

Top Student
TheLanchi
Message 5 of 8 (412 Views)

I understand your reasoning, but I have a few questions before I go and buy ink.  If the ink cartridges are dry, as far as I know, they wouldn't print at all.  LIke I said, a few days ago I printed a couple of pages, and they were a bit faded, but even the red came out well.  And then on the test print the cyan and black started showing up.  Can they print if they're dry?

Also, the ink cartridges are not very old, and I used to use them often (until this problem started).  How quickly does the ink dry up in this printer? I would be very disappointed if that were the case.  In addition, this problem has happened several times before, with different ink levels, only that once the printer rested for a few days, it went back to working, which is not the case now.  So it would seem strange to me that the ink cartridges could be causing the problem.

Anyways, you're the expert here, so if you still say to buy new ink, I'll do it - it's just that in my country there is rarely such think as return policies, even less for open and used items.  And since ink is not exactly cheap, I would hate to waste the money.  What's important is to save my printer!
Thanks again
:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 8 (406 Views)

Let me answer one question directly that really stuck out to me.  No, ink hardly dries up.  In fact, if you use your printer it will not but, as I assumed, one who would experience this would hardly ever use their printer.  Now on a more personal level, as an expert I give advice based on knowledge.  As an owner of a printer, I can relate with you.  I am well aware that troubleshooting can cause ink levels to drop so please do what you feel is best based on the knowledge you have.  I think the printhead soaking method is great as a last resort.  If you can get the printer back in good condition, then you should purchase ink; I will say I do agree with that reasoning just as much.  I'm happy to help you with either decision you make.

Top Student
TheLanchi
Message 7 of 8 (261 Views)

Hello!
It's been a long time since I asked this question.  I've been very frustrated with not being able to print.  At the end, I did everything that you suggested.  I did the printhead soak, and the print reports to get the printer back to normal (along with the ones before) finally depleted the ink.  So I installed new cartridges.  And together, it looks like I got the printer working again (haven't done any heavy printing yet).
Anyways, thank you very much for all your advice, you saved my printer!!!!

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 8 (253 Views)

I am very glad to hear you were able to achieve success through my instructions.  :smileyvery-happy:   I know it can be a long-drawn out process, using a lot of ink when it is done but to be able to save your printer makes it all worth it.  Great job!  Let me know if I can ever be of any assistance.

Happy Printing!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation