Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the Photosmart 5520 series. I've had the printer for over a year. Two days ago, I purchased new black ink for my printer. Today the printer is not printing in black ink. I have done the alignment, the cleaning, , troubleshooting, every possible technique through the printer. I called HP tech support and they took control of my printer and they also couldnt come up with a resolution. The person on the phone ultimately suggested the ink is defective.

I went to Best Buy purchased another new ink cartridge and the same problem continues. I need help ASAP, I have lots of homework to print out.

Thank you! 

138 REPLIES 138
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following methods to fix:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03241743

Good luck for your homework.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

My printer doesn't have any streaks, when the Print Quality Diagnostic Report prints out, the black part is completely white. There is no black ink recognition at all. I also purhcased new color inks and they are working just fine. It's just the black one.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried all steps on the link, specially

Step three: Make sure that the cartridges are correctly vented

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, I have, I've done every step. I'm just going to go buy a new printer. I give up. It works fine, except for the black ink.

HP Recommended

This is crap.  I'm having the same problems as everyone else with 5520 Printer.  Bought new HP ink, can't get black to work.  Have done alignment, clean print heads, checked venting, etc.  Now I read that this is a common problem.  Don't reply back with the troubleshooting guide -- I've read the whole thing.  Test pages print perfectly except black box is completely white.  I've had this printer just over a year.  It's going in the trash and it's Epson printers for me from here on out.

HP Recommended

Find out if your model has a removable print head or not. If your print head is removable, take it out and soak it. If it is not removable there is still a solution. And make sure you research the Epson printers... I have heard very mixed reviews.

Okay, so this is what I did since the print head cannot be removed to soak it and HP just runs you around in circles.

Get a piece of plastic tubing tubing kind of like fish tank tubing but fatter. You can get it at Lowe's or a farm supply store.  The tubing I used was 1/2" OD & 3/8" OD. I cut a length about 4" long. you have to make sure the cut is smooth or it won't seal around the nozzle.

You will also need a syringe without the needle. I used a 3cc. You can get these in the pharmacy.

You are gonna need paper towels. I suggest that you wear gloves and have a plastic trash bag handy to throw the messy towels in.

Open the hatch like you are changing ink. Now UNPLUG the printer and USB (you don't want to get fried). Remove the ink cartridges.  Now you have to slide the ink carriage to the left. Fold up a paper towel so it will fit UNDER the ink carriage and stuff it in the groove by the rollers. Now slide the ink carriage back to the right so it is on top of the paper towel. Fill the syringe with windex or diluted ammonia (I used diluted ammonia). Fit the syringe into the end of the tube. Place the tube over the black ink nozzle on the print head and make sure it is sealed. You will have to hold it in place. SLOWLY sqeeze the ammonia solution into the tube from the syringe. This should dislodge and dissolve any clogs in the nozzle. Wait a couple minutes and slide the print head back to the left. You may repeat the process (hey, while you are in there, you might as well, right?).

Now you will need about a dozen paper towels and some windex or ammonia to clean up all the gooey ink in the parking station. You won't be able to get it all, but try to get the majority. There are some little rubber blades that wipe the ink nozzles... they are kind of stuffed back in on the right hand side... wipe what you can but be gentle.

Now that your hands are black and fingernails are disgusting, it is time to see if your effort paid off. Make sure you have all the moisture wiped up and all the paper towels out of the printer. Snap the ink back in to the correct spots. Plug USB & power back in. When it quits cycling (wasting more of your ink) run your test page or print quality report. It should be working now! It will at least work long enough to use up that $50 worth of ink you bought when you were touble shooting. Next time you are feeling rich you can buy a Brother.

I will say I got the printer to print, but knew it was going to continue to suck ink so I have purchased a Brother. HP reimbursed me for the ink I purchased trying to do their "troubleshooting".

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

HP told me they "are not aware of an issue" so they have not issued a recall.

@POCustomer11 wrote:

This is crap.  I'm having the same problems as everyone else with 5520 Printer.  Bought new HP ink, can't get black to work.  Have done alignment, clean print heads, checked venting, etc.  Now I read that this is a common problem.  Don't reply back with the troubleshooting guide -- I've read the whole thing.  Test pages print perfectly except black box is completely white.  I've had this printer just over a year.  It's going in the trash and it's Epson printers for me from here on out.

HP Recommended

You've got to be kidding!  Seriously?

I'll drive this thing over with my car before I go through that much hassle.  Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had the same problem.Here is what I have done. Also - even though the cartridges don't really leak be aware you can get ink on yourself! Both of these solutions barely take any time. Note - I have not noted that your cartridge may be out of ink. If it is out of ink - you obviously need a new cartridge.

1. Make sure you loaded your cartridges correctly. Take the one that is not working out - and make 100% sure there is not sticky tape left on any of the ports. Even a tiny scrap that you accidentally left on will create problems and it can have jiggled over, over time.

SHAKE the cartrdige and put it back in (don't shake so hard the ink goes all over the place).

Test print that particular color.

2. Remove the bad ink cartridge. Close the lid and let the printer reset. You will get a message you are missing an ink cartridge. Open it again.

SHAKE the cartrdige and put it back in.

Test print that particular color.

Both of these methods work for me. Sometimes one ink cartridge will stop working when it was working fine before - but a little scrap of plastic can have moved over the port - or it just needs to be reset.

There are printer lemons - like cars - but my printer has only had this problem twice in the past 3 years and I use the printer a lot each day as I have a mail order business and am a designer.

If there is no way to solve the problem - go back to the store and have a hissy fit. LOL. So frustrating to be held hostage by a printer.

Hope this helps

Lynn

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.