Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
After finally receiving a label yesterday I still have not received a box. The instructions that came with the label said to send the original printer back in the same box the new printer came in, but of course I haven't received the new printer yet. Called today to ask about the box and found out that the 3 technicians I had spoken to previously all lied to me about a box ever being sent and HP does not provide empty boxes. After asking for a supervisor I was told that I misunderstood about the empty box which is completely false as I had clarified over and over that I would receive an empty box and a label. At this point, I have no trust that if I send my printer back (in a box I provide) that I will ever receive a new printer since nothing I have been told is the truth so far. I was told the only way to receive my printer first is to provide CC information so they can charge me if they don't receive the old printer. I am reluctantly doing this as it is the only way to receive the new printer before I give up the old printer. I think it is ridiculous that after all the lies I was told I wasn't shipped the new printer immediately without the CC information to make up for everything. I was so excited after my first call two weeks ago that this was being taken care of right away. I was so wrong, the customer service has still been horrible. I am in fact still on hold (30 minutes and counting) for them to take my CC information so I can get the new printer.
HP Recommended

Kelseyirene,

I think I see the problem here.  There are two expectations.   

First from HP's view:

• They are waiting for your printer to show up in order to send the replacement printer.
  • There normal process is to ship one (on a credit card in case you don't return it) and that way you have a box to return the old one in.

From your perspective:

• You were expecting that they would ship you a box first (along with the return lable) 

So hopefully I can help clear this up.

HP wanted your credit card to charge the printer against IF you don't return the old one.  Unfortunately there are too many individuals that will attempt to scam a company (not saying you are - please!) and would NOT return the printer.   Remember, you can contact your credit card company IF an unauthorized charge is made against it.  Now in this case the only time they will charge you is if you don't return the old printer.   

There is a cost for boxes and since you did not want to give them a CC to cover the printer AND the box, you were basically saying "I will buy the box" to HP.  So, if you want them to ship you one, contact their support, give them the case number and have them ship you a replacement printer (put it on your CC - it won't show up as a charge UNLESS you don't return the old printer.   In 5 - 6 business days you will receive the replacement printer - follow the directions included and put the old printer back in the box and affix the label and send it back.  Should be zero cost you.  

I know this is maybe what you were not expecting but in todays world this is a VERY common practice to use a CC so a company can guarantee the return of the defective merchandise.   

RJR

P.S. I am not an HP employee, just have had a ton of experience shipping stuff and dealing with tech support.   Remember, when you get their support to finally answer (and yes, sometimes it can be a long time) that these are just people like you and I doing their job.  Be kind and courteous with them and you will be surprised to what extent they will go for you!

HP Recommended
I understand exactly what you are saying, but that wasn't really the case.

1) THEY told me they would be sending a box. THEY said that is how they do this. I was perfectly fine returning my old printer first. When I didn't receive the box after the first 4 days, I called was was told AGAIN that THEY were sending a box, then AGAIN after another 4 days. At no point did I tell them they have to send me a box. It was all because THEY said they were sending a box. And THREE technicians LIED saying they were sending the box.

2) They NEVER gave me an option to give them a CC number in order to send the new printer first. Today was the very first time they EVER mentioned that to me. At no point did I refuse to give them a CC number because they never once asked for one.

3) "There is a cost for boxes and since you did not want to give them a CC to cover the printer AND the box, you were basically saying "I will buy the box" to HP." This is completely false because they never asked for a CC for the box or the printer until today. Everything that has happened has solely been based on what they told me. I did not deny giving them a CC so I never basically said "I will buy the box."

4) As I stated in my previous comment I was giving them my CC and was on hold waiting for them to take it. I was completely kind and nice the first 3 times I called. But after being lied to by every single person I had spoken to, I had every right to be mad and to let them know. It is ridiculous that it took 4 calls and over 3 hours of my time to get the truth.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue with my 5520 printer and after reading other responses on this forum, I called HP for support even though my printer was out of the warranty period.  The phone call took about 30 minutes because they make you go through the troubleshooting steps while on the phone with them and once they confirm the issue was not fixed by the prescribed steps, they transfer you to a dept. that will in fact send you a replacement printer at no charge.  I received mine within a week and sent the old printer back in the box the new one was delivered in.  Shipping both ways is free, but you do have to give HP a credit card deposit of $1 and your card will only be charged for the new printer if you do not send the old one back.  I was upset to encounter a problem with my printer, but am very happy with their resolution.  

HP Recommended

I did the same as you, moohoo, only I didn't qualify for a replacement because I had been refilling the HP ink cartridges with no-brand compatible inks.

I had my HP 5520 for only a year and a half before it 'died'.

No more 'disposable' HP printers for me in future, thank you very much. I'll be advising caution to family and friends about the hazzards of spending good money on an HP printer that lasts less than 2 years with the warranty out of date and all bets off because of refilling with compatible inks.

HP Recommended

Hi Omar,

I got the same issue. Can you send me a Private message?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi @Tovudu and welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I know you were addressing Omar, but I'd be happy to help!

If you're using a Photosmart 5520 and have tried the steps in this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Photosmart 5520 and Desk... document, you'll need to do the same as suggested to others and call our technical support team for your area and request a replacement printer 🙂 AT THIS TIME, regardless of the warranty they should be able to replace it. If not, just let me know and I'll do my best to move things forward.

Let me know how things go with the phone support!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

I called the tech support number on January 27th but did not have the printer with me so I had to call back on January 28th when I could run diagnostics on the printer for the HP technician.  They had me run the normal diagnostics and tests with no resolution, so then he had me complete a full printer reset. Once again this did not fix "the black ink not printing" problem so the technition said that the unit will be replaced at no charge. I went through the replacement process over the phone on the 28th and recieved my new 5520 yesterday, followed the instructions in the package, boxed up the broken 5520 and dropped it of at a FedEx shipping location this morning. The only draw back was that I had 3 days to return the broken printer or have my credit card charged and yesterday was one day and the pre-paid shipping from HP was FedEx 2 day so it should get to California in the alotted time but will be very close.

I am happy with the customer service and the replacement of the printer. I do have to make note that I did go to Staples and buy a new HP 6830 before I recieved my new 5520. I needed a printer and had no choice but to buy one and chose HP because the resolution of the problem with the 5520.

Thank you for your time, Jon Little.

HP Recommended

Whatever you do Tovudu, DON'T tell them you've been refilling the HP-approved ink cartridges with generic ink to save yourself from poverty.

One small slip of the tongue and they'll trash your phone-call quicker than you can say "Poo!"

Good luck!

Herbertt

HP Recommended

All,

For your own sake (and HP's) make sure you test your printer out with HP cartridges.   Even though I had purchased a cartridge made by Office Depot, I went to Office Depot and they tested it with an HP cartridge (still bad).   Your first step should be to use HP cartridges to make sure nothing else is wrong with the cartridges.    That way when they ask you if you are using HP genuine cartridges you can tell them the truth! 

As an FYI - my replacement printer showed up (and they include new ink cartridges - ones you MUST use as they have special lubricants in them that only come in the original set).   Already on its way back to them!

RJR

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.