Question

Top Student
tshart
Message 1 of 10 (1,875 Views)

Photosmart 6520 grinding sound from printer 20 seconds after printing

I have a photosmart 6520 which makes a grinding sound 29 seconds after printing is complete

Intern
Cloud-Dr
Message 2 of 10 (1,867 Views)

Re: Photosmart 6520 grinding sound from printer 20 seconds after printing

tshart,

Try the diagnostic tool below it should help you better diagnose your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility

I am an employee of HP.

**Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left**

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Top Student
tshart
Message 3 of 10 (1,861 Views)

Photosmart 6520 is not supported by this utility

Intern
Cloud-Dr
Message 4 of 10 (1,857 Views)

tshart,

Here is a link to the diagnostic tool specifically for your unit. Just select your O.S. go to utility's and select the print and scan doctor.

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer

I am an employee of HP.

**Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left**

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Honor Student
esh4122
Message 5 of 10 (1,748 Views)

I am having a similar issue with the same model (technically it's a 6525).  I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility and it's indicating everything is fine.  The grinding noise doesn't seem to happen after every print job but it's with sufficient regularity that I'm concerned it is damaging the printer. 

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 6 of 10 (1,710 Views)

@ esh4211, Here is a document that addresses the printer making noise while it is in operation. It will show how to clean the rollers as that can sometimes attribute to the noise that a printer can make.  It should be noted that some noise during and after the printing process is normal and if the printer is functioning properly then the machine is doing fine. I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
wchlmn
Message 7 of 10 (1,598 Views)

I have had the same problem with my Photosmart 6520 printer.  No problems with the printing or copying - noise occurs after printing is complete and printed sheet has been discharged. 

After several rounds of emails with tech support checking out several things after each email  - with no improvement - I am now receiving a replacement printer under warranty.  I'm hoping that the new one does not have this issue.  As noted, the LOUD noise - which sounds like gears slipping/grinding - does not happen after every  print job.  Sometimes it will happen for several printouts in a row and then not do it for a while.  The printer sounds like it is self destructing.  The printer has been in service for about 2 months - the noise first became apparent probably a month ago.

Student
David1230
Message 8 of 10 (1,505 Views)

I purchased a new 6520 this week.  Received the printer, connected and observed a grinding like noise after printing and when turning on/off.

It very much sounds like gears slipping and thus creating the grinding noise.

What is the warranty process for HP with regard to a printer that is less than 7 days old?

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 9 of 10 (1,479 Views)

Hi David1230,

I understand that your printer is making noises while printing.  I would take a look at this document.  If the steps in the document are unable to resolve the issue I would consider exchanging unit. 

Hope this helps.

**If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. **

Honor Student
toxopholist
Message 10 of 10 (1,394 Views)

I had the same problem, intermittently.  I returned it to Best Buy and got a replacement.  Problem solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation