Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Potosmart 7510, printing from memory card.  Using premium photo paper (glossy), set printer to print to HP Premium Photo Plus), print comes out with black/dark areas in bluish-green instead of dark/black.  Using regular paper, set printer to Plain Paper, print comes out fine.    Same thing happens on when i tried Advanced Photo setting and Photo Paper setting - print comes out with bluish-greenish cast in areas that should be black/dark.  

Tried printing black and white photo - same as all other attempts - if choosing any of the photo paper options, the dark areas are blue/green.

Note - next tried printing from computer (wireless), yields same result - dark/black areas are printed in bluish-greenish cast.  

Tried cleaning cartridges, aligning printer, print quality status report looks fine.  

Searched this forum and general web search.  Nothing solved problem yet.

What do I need to do?  Any ideas/suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, this is happening on a 7510.  I have worked out the answer.  Although the 'ink level' diagnostice showed both the black and the 'photo black' cartridges as being low, the 'photo black' apparently was empty.  The photo black must only be called for when the printing properties are set for 'photo paper', and when it is empty the darkest black regions print as blue-green.  I had thought that the photo black cartridge was a gray, for finer gradations in gray-tones, but perhaps it is an intensifier of some sort.  It is too bad that HP publishes no real information.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Update: put in premium photo paper, selected "plain paper" option, printing photos from memory card, and black is black like it is supposed to be.    

All photos are jpg, ranging in file size from 4mb to 10mb.

what is difference between the "plain paper" option and the options for photo paper?  why does plain paper option seem to work, but the settings for photo paper turn out photos with bluish-green instead of black?  what can I do to correct/fix?

HP Recommended

More details: set printer to "premium photo" and printed on stock paper - output was blue green where should have been black.  print with settings as paper works fine.   have cleaned heads multiple times, physically taken heads out to clean per instructions on other parts of this forum, aligned printer, tried and tried more and more and still no luck.  when selecting "photo paper" option on the printer, the output is blue-green where should be black.  have put in new cartridges, no changes.

anyone out there got ideas what to try next?

I'm down 5 cartridges of ink wasted trying to figure this out.  Not a happy camper.  Anyone at HP out there?  Help!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  I've looked at a problem JPG in Photoshop Elements. It looks like the areas that print blue/green are pixels that have been clipped at the extreme black end of the histogram.  It seems like a flaw in the printing firmware for "zero" black.

HP Recommended

Hi wgp,

So it sounds like you are not able to print true black when using photo paper but there is not problem printing on plain paper.  Do you also have the Photosmart 7510?

Can you estimate the ink levels, in percent full for each cartridge, by looking at the printer ink gauge?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

Yes, this is happening on a 7510.  I have worked out the answer.  Although the 'ink level' diagnostice showed both the black and the 'photo black' cartridges as being low, the 'photo black' apparently was empty.  The photo black must only be called for when the printing properties are set for 'photo paper', and when it is empty the darkest black regions print as blue-green.  I had thought that the photo black cartridge was a gray, for finer gradations in gray-tones, but perhaps it is an intensifier of some sort.  It is too bad that HP publishes no real information.

HP Recommended

I'm glad you have worked out the answer.  I had suspected that that could be the problem.  The photo black ink is actually a darker and richer black used when printing on photo paper.  When the photo ink is empty, the printer makes a best attempt to print true black.  Regular black ink is used more for regular black and grayscale printing. 

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problems as the users above have described: When printing photos on my HP Photosmart 7510 the black areas are printed in a green-blue color.

I have done the usual maintenance things like cleaning and aligning printheads, but no improvement.

Like WGP, when I print to a plain paper setting or "other Inkjet Paper" setting, the blacks do print as black, albeit quite faded and dull.

All cartridge ink levels appear full enough - notably, the photoblack cartridge shows as about 75% full.  Removing and shaking that cartridge causes a "fluid sloshing" sound indicating that it does contain ink.

Bottom line is that a low ink level in my photoblack cartridge does not appear to be the problem, and printing photos using regular black ink results in very poor quality prints.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Does anyone have a solution for my Photosmart 7510 not printing black on glossy photo paper?  The photos are blue green instead of black. I've changed the cartridge and cleaned the printer heads.  I haven't found a solution in the forum yet that works and I've wasted way too much ink and photo paper!!!  Thanks!

HP Recommended

I am sorry I don't have an answer but I have the same problem exactly. I will never buy an HP printer again. This printer is the worst piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. (Can  you tell how frustrated I am!!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.