Question

Student
ebeckwith
Message 1 of 5 (191 Views)

Photosmart C4580 All-in-One repeatedly/constantly has "carriage jam" and won't ever work properly.

This printer has been miserable and riddled with numerable problems from the start, and HP tech support has been useless whenever I've tried them, so I'm hoping someone skimming the forum can help.

The newest issue to arise (and most frustrating of all) is that I will try to print something, it goes to the print queue, and the printer starts its 'usual' noise-making, but then stops and I get the error on the printer's screen saying there is a carriage jam. I have followed the instructions on how to 'fix' it each time.

In the meantime, the printer queue is essentially frozen, because now the document has an error in the printing, and the only way to fix it is to stop/start the print spooler through my system admin access on the computer, and wait 5-10 minutes for the queue to clear.

While the queue is [hopefully] clearing up, I have since restarted the printer, and one of two things happens:

1) it prints the document, but does two things first: a) [literally] rips a sheet of paper through the printer reels in a very crinkly fashion, creating a paper jam (which I then proceed to receive an error message about, and properly fix) b) spitting out an empty sheet of paper, and then finally PRINTING on sheet 3. Needless to say, each time this happens, the jammed paper gets wasted because I can no longer print on it, and when I'm trying to print on the back-side of other sheets, it ruins and crinkles one of the sheets, and screws up the entire ordering of the document, thus wasting even more paper (and also, of course, ridiculously expensive ink);

2) it decides to have a carriage jam all over again, and we repeat the process.

It isn't even as if the printer is consistent with its response to problems, so I can't even just get used to it. It's impossible, with this printer, to ever print something in a hurry before I leave for class, and the printer is nothing but a hassle and a pain in the butt to use. If I had the money to afford a new printer, I'd toss this one in the trash in a heartbeat, and buy another Anything-But-HP printer.

Please tell me that someone has a solution to this mess?

Honor Student
johnstyer
Message 2 of 5 (174 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4580 All-in-One repeatedly/constantly has "carriage jam" and won't ever wo

hope someone has an answer because my photosmart D5360 does the same thing, will want to align cartridges and then start and finally give message cartridge jam without doing anything

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 3 of 5 (156 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4580 All-in-One repeatedly/constantly has "carriage jam" and won't ever work properly.

[ Edited ]

@ebeckwith  There are a couple of resets that you can try doing to completely clear up the problem.  The first is a hard reset, and the other is a semi-full reset.  The steps for the semi-full reset I will have to send to you via private message.  Give the Hard reset a try, and if it fails I will send you the steps.

To do a hard reset:

1.  Make sure the printer is on.
2.  Pull the power cord from the printer.
3.  Pull the power cord from the wall.
4.  Wait 30 seconds.
5.  Plug the printer in and turn it on.

@johnstyer The only reset for your printer is the hard reset.  If you have done all the steps in the carriage jam document below try doing the hard reset.  If neither clears the message, you will need to get a new printer.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
Grabber
Message 4 of 5 (147 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4580 All-in-One repeatedly/constantly has "carriage jam" and won't ever wo

This has been happening to me constantly in the past few days.  I did download the Doctor from the HP website, and it fixed it... for a day.  You may want to try that.  However, now the problem is back and nothing seems to work.  HP has just lost another customer.

Student
pspatafora
Message 5 of 5 (79 Views)

my printer says carriage jam and although it sounds as though it is printing it is not

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation