Photosmart Premium C309 not printing black (623 Views)
Student
jeannasmom
Message 1 of 11 (623 Views)

Photosmart Premium C309 not printing black

My HP Photosmart Premium C309 stopped printing black text.  There is no error message on the screen and cleaning the cartridge connections has not helped, and I've checked that ithe ink cartridge is properly installed.  There is plently of ink left in the black ink cartridge, but I replaced it anyway.  It still doesn't work.  The diognostics printout page displays all colors EXCEPT the black for printing.  It does not print  print any text.    Any ideas on what happened and/or how to fix?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 11 (603 Views)

Re: Photosmart Premium C309 not printing black

Here is a document for you model of printer that address the quality output and missing colors.  It will give you various troubleshooting steps to try to fix the issue that you are having. If this does not work; please write back and provide the warranty ends date off the print head. To get that date, take all the cartridges out, lift the print head latch and remove the printhead. Then turn it so that  the printhead contacts are facing towards you, you should see a date listed there. It will have the year listed first like this example: 2011/09/08. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
barbara1198
Message 3 of 11 (571 Views)

I took out the print cartridges and the print head has the date of 9/19/2009.  I have also tried to do an alignment only to have it fail.  Any ideas of what I can do?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 11 (554 Views)

Photosmart Premium C309 not printing black

@ barbara1198- If you have followed the document in the link above and are still having an issue, I would look at this link here. I always want to make sure that I have been provided the date off of the printhead prior to giving this link to ensure that the printhead itself is out of warranty. Because doing the steps listed in this link would void the warranty on the printhead. But since it is out of warranty that is not something one had to worry about. I hope that the link provided earlier helps.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
jrwesw
Message 5 of 11 (497 Views)

I have the same problem. The printer uses the PHOTO black when I tell the printer to print in grayscale instead of color. Did you find a solution? My ID on the forum is jrweiss! and my screenname jrwesw.  Please help.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 11 (494 Views)

jrwesw wrote:

I have the same problem. The printer uses the PHOTO black when I tell the printer to print in grayscale instead of color. Did you find a solution? My ID on the forum is jrweiss! and my screenname jrwesw.  Please help.

The printer will use photo black rather than black if it detects photo paper of if photo paper is selected in the driver.  What operating system?  Depending on the driver I would suggest the following:  select "Plain Paper" in the driver on the Printing Shortcuts page, then on the Color tab select "Print in Grayscale" and "Black ink only", Apply.

c309 grayscale.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
helpohio
Message 7 of 11 (300 Views)

same problem as jeannasmom.  Have gone through the help suggestions on printer and we got it back up printing, but print is so light its difficult to read.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 11 (295 Views)

helpohio wrote:

same problem as jeannasmom.  Have gone through the help suggestions on printer and we got it back up printing, but print is so light its difficult to read.

I would suggest starting with the troubleshooting steps in the document here.  If that does not resolve the black ink not printing properly on your Photosmart c309 then see the post here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
355Spider
Message 9 of 11 (29 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm very new to this but I am having the same issue with my C309. No black printing. Everyting else works and no error messages. New cartidges were installed. I saw that yo sent something to the other person but could not find what it was. Maybe you sent to them directly. If by changce you still have it, can you forwrd to me as well. Trying to get this workign for my son for his homework. Having him print in color for the time being. Cleaned the printheads via the printer command. Still nothing. The tray under where the ink rests when idol is black and wet with ink so I know its not the cartidge being empty. 

Frustrated. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give. 

Best regards, 

Jeff

[Edited for Personal Information]

Honor Student
355Spider
Message 10 of 11 (21 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bob, went through the entire process with soaking, cleaning and drying the carriage for the cartridges. Checked the vent and all good. Black ink still won't print a thing. All other colors fine. Any other suggestions. Just does not make sense. 

Regards, 

Jeff

[Edited for Personal Information]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation