Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have just purchased an HP Envy 4500 printer,

When attempting to print from a PC with windows 7 home pro OS (64 bit), the print job appears in the queue and then dissapears but the printer doesn't print anything.

Everything else appears to be working fine i.e.

• The printer prints its internal test page
  • The printer prints when using iPad2
  • The printer prints when using ePrint
  • The PC recognises and communicates with the printer (tried with both wireless and USB connections)
  • Scanning function works fine - when initiated from the PC and from the printer

I have tried

• uninstalling and reinstalling the software (several times using software from different sources)
  • restarting the printer queue service
  • turning off the firewall
  • running the HP Print and Scan Doctor
  • following the instructions found here (the issue is identical but the OS different):

Print Jobs Disappear from the Print Queue and Do Not Print (Windows 😎

• combinations of all of the above

Absolutely no joy from any of them and despite over 2 hours of googling and searching forums I can't find a solution.

HP... can you give me a solution or is this going back to the shop? :HalfEyes:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I finally worked out the fix myself by trial and error.  I changed the security settings for 'All' and 'Creator-owner' to permit 'Print' and ' Administer Documents'.  Why on earth they weren't automatically allowed as part of the install, I really couldn't say. 

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Not_happy_grrr 

I understand you were unable to print the test from the Print and Scan Doctor, but what was the outcome of each test it performed? Were the any yellow exclamation marks, or red X's?

Please try bypassing the spooler to see if you can print directly to the printer.

1. Click on start and go to devices and printers.
2. Right click on  the printer and click on printer properties.
3. Choose the option "Print directly to the printer".
4. Click apply and then ok.

If this works follow the next steps and try to print again.

Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box

• Type services.msc and press Enter
  • Locate Print Spooler and double click on it to open the Spooler properties print spooler.JPG
  • Make sure startup type is set to Automatic, if it is not please click on the drop down and choose Automaticprinter server properties.JPG
  • Under Service status, please Stop the server, and then wait a moment and click Start

If bypassing the spooler does not result in a successful print, let me know. Please post back to let me know if the issue is resolved, if bypassing the spooler led to a successful print, and the outcome of the Print and Scan Doctor.

Please also try the Microsoft Fix it utility: Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

The Print and Scan doctor gave me all green ticks.  It is at the next step where it prints a test page that I hit the problem.  The test page appears in the queue and then dissapears (as if it had printed) but nothing prints.  The next step where it prints the internal test page works fine.

I bypassed the spooler as per your instructions.  Upon doing so, printing a test page from printer properties or from any application gives errors from windows (my system is in Spanish so I haven't given the details) and directs me to the Windows Diagnose and fix... which comes up with no solutions.

I then ran the Print and Scan doctor again - with exactly the same results as before i.e. test page sent to queue (with no windows errors) and dissapears without printing.

I also tried stopping and starting the spooler again.. but no joy.

Where do i go from here?

HP Recommended

Well I finally worked out the fix myself by trial and error.  I changed the security settings for 'All' and 'Creator-owner' to permit 'Print' and ' Administer Documents'.  Why on earth they weren't automatically allowed as part of the install, I really couldn't say. 

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.