Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Deskjet 2050j is skipping every third or fifth line depending of the document I'm printing. I have already tried every kind of cleaning the printer options have, I have reloaded the cartridge, tried printing in three different computers and still have the same problem. Then I tried printing a horizontal page with the same text, I got no problems there, then tried printing a Black-and-white drawing I had made and there was no problem. I only get this problem when printing text in a vertical way page.

Info:
Model: Deskjet 2050 All-in-One J510a

Firmwre version: SLM2FN1006BR

printer software version: 022.050.231.000
and driver version:04.43.07.853

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is caused be an electrical contact issue between yout printer and cartridge
Try cleaning the cartridge contacts with a lint free tissue. (A folded dollar bill works well.)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

This is caused be an electrical contact issue between yout printer and cartridge
Try cleaning the cartridge contacts with a lint free tissue. (A folded dollar bill works well.)

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Well, tried it a couple times and the problem persists

HP Recommended

I tried now printing the same text in blue... it was printed correctly, so problably that's indeed a cartridge issue.
Thank you, that post helped to find if the problem was caused by the cartridge or the printer itself

HP Recommended

If you select "Best" print mode the page will print properly.  Also, try printing a test page as shown in this document.  The black nozzle pattern should be complete, yours will be missing some large rectangular parts of the pattern.  

"To check if your ink supplies can be replaced under warranty, go to hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies , select your country, and look for ‘ink supplies warranty’."

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Does this mean I am eternaly consigned to printng in bestquality andwasting unnecessary ink?

HP Recommended

Hi phoenixangel,

I understand you're having an issue with your printer and are looking for a different solution then was provided in this thread. I will do my best to assist you in this.

I'm assuming you have a printer that is skipping lines on your print out, so based on that assumption I am going to ask a few questions to assist you better.

1. Which model of HP printer do you have?

2. If your printer has a scanner, are you able to make a copy without it skipping lines?

3. Are you using genuine HP inks? Or perhaps refills, or generic brand ink?

4. Are you working with Windows or Mac on your computer?

5. How is the printer connected to your computer? Is it USB or wireless?

6. Does this only happen from one specific program or any program you print from?

Once I have this information I should be able to help you better!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

1. Which model of HP printer do you have?

HP Officejet 4500 Wireless

2. If your printer has a scanner, are you able to make a copy without it skipping lines?

Line still skip, but less

3. Are you using genuine HP inks? Or perhaps refills, or generic brand ink?

HP

4. Are you working with Windows or Mac on your computer?

Windows 7

5. How is the printer connected to your computer? Is it USB or wireless?

USB

6. Does this only happen from one specific program or any program you print from?

Word, Excel, solid blocks of color in PPT don't completely fill in...they are varied in density

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and have been "dealing" with it for weeks.  HELP!!!  I am secretary for a couple of clubs and this is causing me GRIEF!

1. Which model of HP printer do you have?   J4680

2. If your printer has a scanner, are you able to make a copy without it skipping lines? Can scan then print and works fine BUT CAN NOT lay a piece of paper on copier and get a good copy

3. Are you using genuine HP inks? Or perhaps refills, or generic brand ink? HP (cleaned)

4. Are you working with Windows or Mac on your computer? Windows 7

5. How is the printer connected to your computer? Is it USB or wireless? Wireless

6. Does this only happen from one specific program or any program you print from?  Word and word documents that have been converted to pdf

HP Recommended

I was having a similar problem...The dollar bill cleaning of contact point on the black ink cartridge seemed to reduce the depth of the skipped areas...but the problem seems only completely solved when I replaced my HP black ink cartridge (88XL - for HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-in-One.

Although my HP ink cartridge was at least half full, it appears the cartridge may have been defective.  The new cartridge is not skipping lines.  Hopeful a bad ink cartridge is the extent of the problem...and this does not recur....

Will contact HP as the cartridge was under warranty until 1/09/16....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.