Question

UvE Top Student
Top Student
UvE
Message 1 of 28 (6,942 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer driver hangs when printing with Office 2013/Windows 8 64 bit

Printer: HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi

Printer Driver: V5.1 (up to date, downloaded from HP support website) or Generic V5.6

When I try to print a certain Excel document with Excel 2013 and printer driver V5.1, the program hangs and needs to be terminated via task manager. This happens always with the same document, but not with all documents. The program hangs also when opening the print preview for the same document.

The same document prints fine with the generic printer driver V5.6 and with the driver that comes with Windows 8.

The same document prints fine with driver V5.1 under Windows 7 and Office 2010. The combination Windows 7/Office 2013 was not tested. The combination Windows 8/Office 2010 was also not tested.

When I try to print an empty document with Word 2013 and generic printer driver V5.6, the program hangs and needs to be terminated via task manager.

My conclusion is that the HP printer drivers have a problem with either Windows 8 or Office 2013 or a combination of both.

The printer driver that comes with Windows 8 and is automatically installed is useful as a temporary workaround, but it lacks certain options, e.g. manual duplex.

On request, I am ready to send the Excel document by e-mail for verification of the problem.

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Uli

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 28 (6,920 Views)

Re: Printer driver hangs when printing with Office 2013/Windows 8 64 bit

From what you describe you are having issues printing from MS Office. Have you had trouble printing from other resources on your computer (e.g. from the internet or another program)? The first thing I am going to suggest is that we start by uninstalling and reinstalling the printer from the resources available online. 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Install that and let me know the result! 

Have a great day!
UvE Top Student
Top Student
UvE
Message 3 of 28 (6,650 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, reinstalling the driver did not help. The problem is still the same.

The drivers work fine with all other programs I am using. The problems I am experiencing are only with Word 2013 and Excel 2013. As already mentioned, there are also no problems with Office 2013 when I use the printer driver "LASERJET" which is automatically installed by Windows. Unfortunately that driver has other shortcomings, so this is not a solution for me.

UvE Top Student
Top Student
UvE
Message 4 of 28 (6,649 Views)

I need to add that one information given in my first post turned out to be incorrect.

I said that there are no problems with the generic PCL driver V5.6 which can also be downloaded on the HP website. However, the problems with this driver are the same as with the device specific driver V5.1.

Moreover, I noticed that immediately after rebooting the computer, I am able to print one page in Word 2013 without problems. When I try to print the same page again immediately afterwards, the program hangs and needs to be terminated via Task Manager.

UvE Top Student
Top Student
UvE
Message 5 of 28 (6,509 Views)

It is sad to see that the enthusiasm to help is greatly diminished after it turns out that this is not a "stupid user" problem which can be solved by simply reinstalling.

I gathered some more information. I did a test install with Windows 7 64 bit, HP printer driver 5.1 and Office 2013 64 bit. The problem is the same. I can print once after reboot without problems. On the second try either Excel or Word hangs and messes up the system so badly that even with other programs like Notepad or Adobe Reader, printing is not possible anymore before rebooting.

So it is not a Windows 8 problem, since it happens with Windows 7 as well. It seems to be problem between Office 2013 64 bit and the HP printer driver.

Can you do a test install to recreate the problem? I'll be happy to provide Excel files that create the problem.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 28 (6,470 Views)

I apologize for the delay, I think that your response was buried under the other work that I have been doing and the other threads I have been a part of. Have you tried using the PCL driver? I would suggest the PCL6 driver if you have not :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=...

-Spencer 

UvE Top Student
Top Student
UvE
Message 7 of 28 (6,431 Views)

Re: Printer driver hangs when printing with Office 2013/Windows 8 or 7 64 bit

Spencer,

thanks for taking care of my problem again. As I said in my posting from July 12, I thought at first that the PCL driver works fine, however this was due to the fact that after a reboot, the first print job always works. However, the problems are exactly the same for both drivers when I try to continue printing after the first job. If printing fails once from an Office program, it will also fail subsequently each time from other programs (like Notepad, Acrobat) until the system is rebooted.

I would appreciate if you could try to recreate the problem on an identically configured test system (Office 2013, Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, printer drivers I mentioned). I'll provide the Excel/Word documents that produce the error on my system (though any file bigger than 2 pages will do) and an exact step-by-step instruction how to produce the error.

Thanks and best regards,

Uli

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 28 (6,411 Views)

Does the printer respond this way from all requests from your computer or just the requests from part of the MS Suite you are using? Can you tell me if you have tried different means of connecting the machine to the printer (USB, Ethernet , Wireless)? Lastly, can you check with this program to see how responsive your unit's software is? 

PSDr

Let me know how this goes! 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you have a wonderful day! 

Top Student
Dan-52
Message 9 of 28 (6,395 Views)

We need to request an escalation in support for this issue.  I am an HP partner having the very same problem with customer systems.  There is clearly a driver/Office 2013 issue here on a Windows 8 System.  Please research a solution for us.  Thanks!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 10 of 28 (6,379 Views)

Alright, I am reviewing this case and having other members of the HP support look into this and we will get a response back as soon as we can for you! 

-Spencer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation